Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
PM
Figured I'd start a build thread to keep my updates in one concise area vs going back to several threads to post future updates.

Have thought the Gladiators to be very cool vehicles waaaaaay back when and always thought Jeep should bring them back. Was glad when they did but got a RAM 3500 Cummins in 2018 not too long before their debut. Didnt need 2 trucks and we had a 34' toy hauler then so the diesel was a must. Was always interested in them though and how folks mod them and such. Had a 2002 or 2003 Wrangler (the year before the 4 doors came out) but with a new home, 2 small kids and a couple dogs, that vehicle quickly wore out it's practicality and moved into Trucks for the next 20 yrs or so.

During this time I have been a huge Harley Davidson enthusiast. Have had a number of bikes and made 14 consecutive trips to Sturgis from 2009 until 2023, when I missed for first time since going in 09. My bikes have been canvasses to express myself but having those and another vehicle to do that isn't really something that can be done simultaneously for me anyway due to the large expense. Since my Harleys are where I need them to be, and HD seems to be moving into a too futuristic style for my liking, I can see the days of customizing bikes for me in the future are limited.

Over the last 2-3 years my interest in the Gladiators has been steady and finally pulled the trigger in early March when the discounts were just too good to pass up any longer.

Not a rock crawler (yet...) so a Rubicon was not a model I was as interested in as others. I had originally thought I would got the route of the Mojave (and had a deal in principle ready for me to drive 7 hours away to finalize) but found one closer to home.

Went with the HA because I do like leather seats and other creature comforts and the paint matched roof. fenders, door handles, mirrors, etc. is appealing to me vs the matte black versions of those things so I landed on a 2023 High Altitude in white. I was interested in this one also becuase it came w/the capability package (includes the Steel Front Bumper, Front Facing Camera and the Rock Rails).

I plan to upgrade the suspension in the future as that will be necessary to get deeper into the off road aspect of Jeep/Gladiator ownership but for now, the biggest change has been wheels/tires to make it look more Jeep like. The suspension options are vast and expensive (or can be) and whatever I do there, I want to do once, so gonna take my time and buy the right package for my needs while preserving ride quality and geometry.

Been a steady flow of smaller upgrades since bringing it home, except for the wheels/tires. I'll try and recap it all here with some pics but my other posts also show some stuff too.

The first thing I did was focus on the interior a little to provide some additional storage capabilities, a place for my and my wifes phones, stuff, etc and to assist with getting in and out (for her). Will add some type of step in the future (as she needs that) but looking for something that works "with" the Mopar Rock Rails.

Interior Mods to date:

- RAM Mounts Tough-Track for '18-23 Jeep JL/JLU/Gladiator RAM-DT-204-TRACK-A12U Compatible with RAM Track Ball Bases
- RAM Mounts Track Ball with T-Bolt Attachment RAP-B-354U-TRA1 with B Size 1" Ball
- All-Metal Double Heads 1" Ball Adapter Ball Mount Holder Compatible with Ram Double Socket Arm and Other 1'' Ball Phone Holder

I already had the RAM Mounts arms from other uses on my Harleys and liked the X-Grip for those so I combined that with this and another phone mounting system I had in the previous vehicle that was MagSafe.

Also in the pic of the RAM Mounts components at the bottom is the little storage holder that fits behind the grab handle on the dash. This works so well that my wife forgot her phone in it the first time she used it. :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

next up was some handles and some Rugged Ridge sill protectors. Honestly, I dont love the handles but they do have the rubber grip on them but I barely use it. The handle on the drivers side pillar is all I need but the wife does and others might as the Jeep climbs in elevation in later mods. Also added in the shorty antenna for looks only.

Then I got a couple other things from Amazon that are for future projects to help with sound deadening:

- Canopus Car Sound Deadening Mat

- Roller

Saw some video on youtube about how the windshield contributes quite a bit of noise to the cabin and made sense to me so will try this out once it warms up here in Ohio.

- J&L Oil separator: to help keep the intake clean.

- K&N replacement air filter (this will do for now but may mod out the whole intake to cold air intake later).

From here everything else has been a focus on the exterior.

- Magnetic Keyhole Covers (these look kinda cool but can be pulled off easily, we'll see how long they last once they get on. I thought they would provide a nice contrast w/the paint and the next item.

- Door Hinge Covers: Saw a post on this site about these and will follow the OP's instructions on painting them Matte Black and switching out the tape for 3M.

- Mopar Extreme Recon Fender Extensions: These were a bear to install. Don't know if I did it wrong or the flares on HAs are different than Rubicons/Sports/Mojave's in the plastic riveting but none of the holes lined up as easily as others here have said or youtube videos show. I got it to work but damaged one beyond use and had to resort to self-tapping screws to get them on and solid. The replacement of the rivets or use of plastic Xmas Trees did not go well for me. Admittedly, could have been user error. I do like them though. They stop the wave of debris that gets thrown onto the side of the vehicle really well. May still get some mudflaps to get fuller coverage at the bottom but they work well with the wheel/tire setup I went with (coming up shortly). Will be throwing them on the rear as well once the replacement flare arrives next week.

- JL JT 2018-2024 Grille Winch Brush Guard: This item looks pretty good for a fraction of what Mopar costs. We'll see how well the finish holds up; Fit was perfect.

Lighting:

- Quadratec Pre-Runner LED Light Kit for 20-24 Jeep Gladiator JT - Link to post of mine where I give thoughts on these. I like them and the install wasn't too bad.

- Oracle Rear Bumper LED Reverse Lights with Plug-N-Play Harness: Have these and waiting for waether to improve to install them. Really like the additional backup lighting at nite. Looking forward to getting them on.

- Raxiom Axial Series LED Fender Lights with Turn Signal Function - Just ordered these today and will get those on next week after they're delivered. Will update thread when done.

More Exterior Stuff:

- Bilstein B8 5100 Series Steering Damper - Also ordered today and will provide update after install. I believe this to be an upgrade to the OEM Stabilizer and I know it may not be what I use forever but, with the wheels and tires coming up being on the truck, the steering feedback may be a bit less with this for now.

- RIVAL 4x4 Hood Lifts - Put these on and they work as intended. Need to get a set of hood latch locks too.

- Bushwacker Trail Armor Hood Stone Guard: Have this as well and like many other parts, will install once it warms up a bit. Most folks who have this think it does its job and the contrast against a white jeep should be pretty cool.

- Tazer JL Mini w/extension cable - Got the Cable from Z-Automotive. Initially installed it by itself and it is a PITA until you realize how helpful a long pair of needle-nose pliers are. To avoid that in the future, the extension cable was installed a few days later. Overall, I like the features available in the Tazer (lighting options, ability to switch tire size, etc.).

- Rough Country Low Pro Cover: Cover is nice but fittement could be better. I don't think I have even taken any pics of it specifically but it can be seen in several photos below. Its decent, not a nice as other BakFlips covers I have had on other trucks.

Wheels/Tires:

- Mammoth General Matte Black Wheel; 17x9: Went with these because I really liked the style and they are fairly uncommon in what I have seen around me and online as far as wheel go. They have a -6 offset and I wanted some tire poke but nothing outrageous. These fit the bill.

- Toyo Open Country A/T III Tire: - Have always heard good things about these tires and since my goal was to not go full on into a 2-3"+ lift right out the gate, a 34" tire I knew would fit with the stock suspension. It does and with the wheels it makes it look like a Jeep now. I am happy with it!

I also have the 1.5" TeraFlex spacer kit and the 3/4" Daystar rear spacer kit but right now, I don't "need" to install them. I probably will when it warms up so in the event I get offroad w/the current setup, I'll have a little more clearance. For now though, it rides great as-is. Gas mileage has take a 1-2 mpg hit but its till cold here. Hopefully I'm in the 18-20 range w/these 3.73 gears when its nicer outside. If not, re-gearing is an option if the lift direction makes me go somewhere else with this in the future. For now, its fine.

Will update the thread with other stuff as it makes its way onto the Gladiator.

Pics of most things above... If I missed something, shoot a reply and I'll get a pic for it.

Peace!

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White 1711845315643-b0

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White 1711845646677-d2

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White 1711845683056-70

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White 1711849145582-2c

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0489

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0455

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0446

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0450

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0453

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0466

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0469

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0475

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0483

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0498

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0496

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White 23GLeft

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White 23GRight
Sponsored

Last edited:

Okiegoon

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude
Nice, I have the same HA in the same color. Just checking I recently went to 17" wheels and Toyo Open Country M/T's. Do your tires rub on the inner plastic wheel well guard when at full lock? Mine full lock right - no rub. Full lock left and it rubs on the rear portion of that plastic wheel well guard. I've trimmed it up some with scissors and thought I had it taken care of but it rubbed again on our trip this past weekend. Thought about hacking it up some more but thinking I may just go with a 1.5" teraflex level kit for the front instead.

Also the J&L Oil separator does this help a lot and how easy was it to install? Just wondering was thinking of getting one for mine as well.

Let me know, very nice build so far looks great. :)

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Nice looking, really clean Jeep! I'm also a fan of the color matched.

For your interior storage, do you have anything that goes around the center console near the shifters? I didn't see it on your list. I have something like in the link below. It's pretty handy and looks original.

https://a.co/d/4RSllNj

OP
OP
BaneKotaKeena

BaneKotaKeena

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
PM
Nice, I have the same HA in the same color. Just checking I recently went to 17" wheels and Toyo Open Country M/T's. Do your tires rub on the inner plastic wheel well guard when at full lock? Mine full lock right - no rub. Full lock left and it rubs on the rear portion of that plastic wheel well guard. I've trimmed it up some with scissors and thought I had it taken care of but it rubbed again on our trip this past weekend. Thought about hacking it up some more but thinking I may just go with a 1.5" teraflex level kit for the front instead.

Also the J&L Oil separator does this help a lot and how easy was it to install? Just wondering was thinking of getting one for mine as well.

Let me know, very nice build so far looks great. :)
Thanks!

I havent noticed any rub but my wheels are -6 offset which may be helping with any rubbing at full lock in either direction. No clearance issues yet. I have the 1.5" Teraflex (front) kit and 3/4 Daystar (rear) kit in my garage. Dunno if I will install it or just go full lift kit next year.

The J&L separator was literally 5 minutes to install. I need to check the can but I've only had it on for a couple hundred miles. It worked really well on vehicle before this getting about 1/2 full around 1500 miles. Seen some youtube videos where the amount of oil is significant. Would have just gone with a generic catch can but this one is pre-made to fit perfectly with OEM connectors and was super easy to install. I'll report back after I check the can.

OP
OP
BaneKotaKeena

BaneKotaKeena

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
PM
Nice looking, really clean Jeep! I'm also a fan of the color matched.

For your interior storage, do you have anything that goes around the center console near the shifters? I didn't see it on your list. I have something like in the link below. It's pretty handy and looks original.

https://a.co/d/4RSllNj
Thanks! Its about 3.5 wks old and has made a few touchless carwash stops... :)

I dont have this item yet but have seen it. Does it interfere with leg room at all?

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Thanks! Its about 3.5 wks old and has made a few touchless carwash stops... :)

I dont have this item yet but have seen it. Does it interfere with leg room at all?
No interference at all with leg room. I normally don't buy stuff like this, but a friend with a JK gave it to me cause he thought it would fit his.

OP
OP
BaneKotaKeena

BaneKotaKeena

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
PM
Thanks!

I havent noticed any rub but my wheels are -6 offset which may be helping with any rubbing at full lock in either direction. No clearance issues yet. I have the 1.5" Teraflex (front) kit and 3/4 Daystar (rear) kit in my garage. Dunno if I will install it or just go full lift kit next year.

The J&L separator was literally 5 minutes to install. I need to check the can but I've only had it on for a couple hundred miles. It worked really well on vehicle before this getting about 1/2 full around 1500 miles. Seen some youtube videos where the amount of oil is significant. Would have just gone with a generic catch can but this one is pre-made to fit perfectly with OEM connectors and was super easy to install. I'll report back after I check the can.
Just checked the can and this is what it captured over 5-600 miles of driving with it. About 1/8 to 1/4 full (the nornal small can). Not as much as I have seen others record but the engine is new, just over 1000 miles overall.

Plan is to check it every 2-3 months, noting mileage between.

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0504

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0505

Last edited:
OP
OP
BaneKotaKeena

BaneKotaKeena

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
PM
Bilstein B8 5100 Series Steering Damper - Also ordered today and will provide update after install. I believe this to be an upgrade to the OEM Stabilizer and I know it may not be what I use forever but, with the wheels and tires coming up being on the truck, the steering feedback may be a bit less with this for now.
Installed Bilstein Steering Stabilizer. What a PITA... The carriage bolt on top the knuckle side of the OEM stabilizer doesnt fit the Bilstein eye hole due to the carriage section.

After some research, turns out I needed a GRADE 8, 1/2" X 3 bolt and corresponding nut/lock-washer. Probably could have gotten away with a 2.5" bolt but the 3" fit without rubbing on axle.

After acquiring those the job took less than 10 minutes. Unfortunately I had removed it before I realized this issue and had to do that twice. Once I had the new hardware, I had to switch the long bolt from the axle side of the stabilizer to the knuckle side which fit the Bilstein fine. Used the new bolt on the axle side along with new lock washer and nut (w/some anti-seize). The OEM flag nut and Carriage bolt will now join some of their mates in a box of take off parts in the basement. ;)

In any event, its on now and the steering is much tighter than stock. It wasn't bad before but there was some slight feedback on bumps that I am hopeful will be even less now that its on.

Some pics of the stuff I had to get to make it work.

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0514

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0512

Jeep Gladiator 23 JT High Altitude - White IMG_0511

Last edited:

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Cherokee, Ram 2500 Hemi,
Occupation
Retired
Figured I'd start a build thread to keep my updates in one concise area vs going back to several threads to post future updates.

Have thought the Gladiators to be very cool vehicles waaaaaay back when and always thought Jeep should bring them back. Was glad when they did but got a RAM 3500 Cummins in 2018 not too long before their debut. Didnt need 2 trucks and we had a 34' toy hauler then so the diesel was a must. Was always interested in them though and how folks mod them and such. Had a 2002 or 2003 Wrangler (the year before the 4 doors came out) but with a new home, 2 small kids and a couple dogs, that vehicle quickly wore out it's practicality and moved into Trucks for the next 20 yrs or so.

During this time I have been a huge Harley Davidson enthusiast. Have had a number of bikes and made 14 consecutive trips to Sturgis from 2009 until 2023, when I missed for first time since going in 09. My bikes have been canvasses to express myself but having those and another vehicle to do that isn't really something that can be done simultaneously for me anyway due to the large expense. Since my Harleys are where I need them to be, and HD seems to be moving into a too futuristic style for my liking, I can see the days of customizing bikes for me in the future are limited.

Over the last 2-3 years my interest in the Gladiators has been steady and finally pulled the trigger in early March when the discounts were just too good to pass up any longer.

Not a rock crawler (yet...) so a Rubicon was not a model I was as interested in as others. I had originally thought I would got the route of the Mojave (and had a deal in principle ready for me to drive 7 hours away to finalize) but found one closer to home.

Went with the HA because I do like leather seats and other creature comforts and the paint matched roof. fenders, door handles, mirrors, etc. is appealing to me vs the matte black versions of those things so I landed on a 2023 High Altitude in white. I was interested in this one also becuase it came w/the capability package (includes the Steel Front Bumper, Front Facing Camera and the Rock Rails).

I plan to upgrade the suspension in the future as that will be necessary to get deeper into the off road aspect of Jeep/Gladiator ownership but for now, the biggest change has been wheels/tires to make it look more Jeep like. The suspension options are vast and expensive (or can be) and whatever I do there, I want to do once, so gonna take my time and buy the right package for my needs while preserving ride quality and geometry.

Been a steady flow of smaller upgrades since bringing it home, except for the wheels/tires. I'll try and recap it all here with some pics but my other posts also show some stuff too.

The first thing I did was focus on the interior a little to provide some additional storage capabilities, a place for my and my wifes phones, stuff, etc and to assist with getting in and out (for her). Will add some type of step in the future (as she needs that) but looking for something that works "with" the Mopar Rock Rails.

Interior Mods to date:

- RAM Mounts Tough-Track for '18-23 Jeep JL/JLU/Gladiator RAM-DT-204-TRACK-A12U Compatible with RAM Track Ball Bases
- RAM Mounts Track Ball with T-Bolt Attachment RAP-B-354U-TRA1 with B Size 1" Ball
- All-Metal Double Heads 1" Ball Adapter Ball Mount Holder Compatible with Ram Double Socket Arm and Other 1'' Ball Phone Holder

I already had the RAM Mounts arms from other uses on my Harleys and liked the X-Grip for those so I combined that with this and another phone mounting system I had in the previous vehicle that was MagSafe.

Also in the pic of the RAM Mounts components at the bottom is the little storage holder that fits behind the grab handle on the dash. This works so well that my wife forgot her phone in it the first time she used it. :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

next up was some handles and some Rugged Ridge sill protectors. Honestly, I dont love the handles but they do have the rubber grip on them but I barely use it. The handle on the drivers side pillar is all I need but the wife does and others might as the Jeep climbs in elevation in later mods. Also added in the shorty antenna for looks only.

Then I got a couple other things from Amazon that are for future projects to help with sound deadening:

- Canopus Car Sound Deadening Mat

- Roller

Saw some video on youtube about how the windshield contributes quite a bit of noise to the cabin and made sense to me so will try this out once it warms up here in Ohio.

- J&L Oil separator: to help keep the intake clean.

- K&N replacement air filter (this will do for now but may mod out the whole intake to cold air intake later).

From here everything else has been a focus on the exterior.

- Magnetic Keyhole Covers (these look kinda cool but can be pulled off easily, we'll see how long they last once they get on. I thought they would provide a nice contrast w/the paint and the next item.

- Door Hinge Covers: Saw a post on this site about these and will follow the OP's instructions on painting them Matte Black and switching out the tape for 3M.

- Mopar Extreme Recon Fender Extensions: These were a bear to install. Don't know if I did it wrong or the flares on HAs are different than Rubicons/Sports/Mojave's in the plastic riveting but none of the holes lined up as easily as others here have said or youtube videos show. I got it to work but damaged one beyond use and had to resort to self-tapping screws to get them on and solid. The replacement of the rivets or use of plastic Xmas Trees did not go well for me. Admittedly, could have been user error. I do like them though. They stop the wave of debris that gets thrown onto the side of the vehicle really well. May still get some mudflaps to get fuller coverage at the bottom but they work well with the wheel/tire setup I went with (coming up shortly). Will be throwing them on the rear as well once the replacement flare arrives next week.

- JL JT 2018-2024 Grille Winch Brush Guard: This item looks pretty good for a fraction of what Mopar costs. We'll see how well the finish holds up; Fit was perfect.

Lighting:

- Quadratec Pre-Runner LED Light Kit for 20-24 Jeep Gladiator JT - Link to post of mine where I give thoughts on these. I like them and the install wasn't too bad.

- Oracle Rear Bumper LED Reverse Lights with Plug-N-Play Harness: Have these and waiting for waether to improve to install them. Really like the additional backup lighting at nite. Looking forward to getting them on.

- Raxiom Axial Series LED Fender Lights with Turn Signal Function - Just ordered these today and will get those on next week after they're delivered. Will update thread when done.

More Exterior Stuff:

- Bilstein B8 5100 Series Steering Damper - Also ordered today and will provide update after install. I believe this to be an upgrade to the OEM Stabilizer and I know it may not be what I use forever but, with the wheels and tires coming up being on the truck, the steering feedback may be a bit less with this for now.

- RIVAL 4x4 Hood Lifts - Put these on and they work as intended. Need to get a set of hood latch locks too.

- Bushwacker Trail Armor Hood Stone Guard: Have this as well and like many other parts, will install once it warms up a bit. Most folks who have this think it does its job and the contrast against a white jeep should be pretty cool.

- Tazer JL Mini w/extension cable - Got the Cable from Z-Automotive. Initially installed it by itself and it is a PITA until you realize how helpful a long pair of needle-nose pliers are. To avoid that in the future, the extension cable was installed a few days later. Overall, I like the features available in the Tazer (lighting options, ability to switch tire size, etc.).

- Rough Country Low Pro Cover: Cover is nice but fittement could be better. I don't think I have even taken any pics of it specifically but it can be seen in several photos below. Its decent, not a nice as other BakFlips covers I have had on other trucks.

Wheels/Tires:

- Mammoth General Matte Black Wheel; 17x9: Went with these because I really liked the style and they are fairly uncommon in what I have seen around me and online as far as wheel go. They have a -6 offset and I wanted some tire poke but nothing outrageous. These fit the bill.

- Toyo Open Country A/T III Tire: - Have always heard good things about these tires and since my goal was to not go full on into a 2-3"+ lift right out the gate, a 34" tire I knew would fit with the stock suspension. It does and with the wheels it makes it look like a Jeep now. I am happy with it!

I also have the 1.5" TeraFlex spacer kit and the 3/4" Daystar rear spacer kit but right now, I don't "need" to install them. I probably will when it warms up so in the event I get offroad w/the current setup, I'll have a little more clearance. For now though, it rides great as-is. Gas mileage has take a 1-2 mpg hit but its till cold here. Hopefully I'm in the 18-20 range w/these 3.73 gears when its nicer outside. If not, re-gearing is an option if the lift direction makes me go somewhere else with this in the future. For now, its fine.

Will update the thread with other stuff as it makes its way onto the Gladiator.

Pics of most things above... If I missed something, shoot a reply and I'll get a pic for it.

Peace!

Nice. Remember you also have the "wide axles" like a Rubicon, Mojave or Max Tow pckg. I'm not sure why they did that, but they did. They are supposedly beefier and like 1.5 inches wider. Good luck on the step that doesn't interfere with the Rock Rails. I'd consider mud flaps until you do whatever you are going to do.

A problem with the Gladiators are that they throw up lots o crap from the wheels up the side. AND, it can ding the paint particularly on the hinges that stick out. I had the Rock rails and went ahead and put the OEM (like) steps "some kind of heavy duty plastic" Chinese knock offs that look exactly like OEM at 300 bucks. They are a royal bear to install with no directions and they are not as straight and true as OEM's but OEM's cost 800 bucks so there is that and now on you can't really tell the difference.

IF you want a Rock Rail but also a step, there is the ugly cheap solution https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/gladiator/products/jeep-jt-hide-a-step-powder-coated

The only solution I've found so far are like 2700 bucks uninstalled and are these https://rockslideengineering.com/product-tag/jt-step-slider/ They are on my list, at the bottom. The steps I got are considered temporary right now.

OP
OP
BaneKotaKeena

BaneKotaKeena

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
PM
Nice. Remember you also have the "wide axles" like a Rubicon, Mojave or Max Tow pckg. I'm not sure why they did that, but they did. They are supposedly beefier and like 1.5 inches wider. Good luck on the step that doesn't interfere with the Rock Rails. I'd consider mud flaps until you do whatever you are going to do.

A problem with the Gladiators are that they throw up lots o crap from the wheels up the side. AND, it can ding the paint particularly on the hinges that stick out. I had the Rock rails and went ahead and put the OEM (like) steps "some kind of heavy duty plastic" Chinese knock offs that look exactly like OEM at 300 bucks. They are a royal bear to install with no directions and they are not as straight and true as OEM's but OEM's cost 800 bucks so there is that and now on you can't really tell the difference.

IF you want a Rock Rail but also a step, there is the ugly cheap solution https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/gladiator/products/jeep-jt-hide-a-step-powder-coated

The only solution I've found so far are like 2700 bucks uninstalled and are these https://rockslideengineering.com/product-tag/jt-step-slider/ They are on my list, at the bottom. The steps I got are considered temporary right now.
Thanks!

Agreed on the axles. Probably so they can try and justify the additional MSRP. Without any lockers though, those axles aren't as potent in the HA as the Rubicon or Mojave.

Have the Extreme Recon flare extensions in front and the rears are going on soon. Those really helped with flinging crap up the side of the doors, etc. I also have a set of hinge covers that I plan to install after I paint them this Spring.

Both of those step options are sort of expensive but I have seen the hide-a-step and giving that some consideration though it is not as attractive as other options. The electric steps are just outrageously expensive. Like how they look a lot but not that much.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Cherokee, Ram 2500 Hemi,
Occupation
Retired
Thanks!

Agreed on the axles. Probably so they can try and justify the additional MSRP. Without any lockers though, those axles aren't as potent in the HA as the Rubicon or Mojave.

Both of those step options are sort of expensive but I have seen the hide-a-step and giving that some consideration though it is not as attractive as other options. The electric steps are just outrageously expensive. Like how they look a lot but not that much.
My after market guy likes the "Rough Country" ones at like 1000 bucks. He says they aren't rock rails, but can take a slight hit. He bought like the first Gladiator where I live back when they first came out and has installed most everything out there on them so I trust his judgement and he put half the stuff on his 2020 Gobi. https://www.roughcountry.com/product/electric-running-boards-psr610530 I saw these on his and they LOOK Great. He put my AMP ones on my 2500. They are the best but you are way up there on price and they are very light aluminum won't take a hit for sure.

OP
OP
BaneKotaKeena

BaneKotaKeena

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
PM
My after market guy likes the "Rough Country" ones at like 1000 bucks. He says they aren't rock rails, but can take a slight hit. He bought like the first Gladiator where I live back when they first came out and has installed most everything out there on them so I trust his judgement and he put half the stuff on his 2020 Gobi. https://www.roughcountry.com/product/electric-running-boards-psr610530 I saw these on his and they LOOK Great. He put my AMP ones on my 2500. They are the best but you are way up there on price and they are very light aluminum won't take a hit for sure.
Those ARE nice... ?... damnit!

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure why they did that, but they did. They are supposedly beefier and like 1.5 inches wider.
Ride/stability/comfort. Not beefier. 1.5" total, 0.75/side

Why do that to a new engine? I can see the CAI for the noise/sound factor, but I'd never run one of their filters. No gain for such a thing on a Gladiator (or any Jeep for that matter) but it is a risk since they don't filter as efficiently as a paper filter.

Seen some youtube videos where the amount of oil is significant.
Those are typically engines with troubles, or what you see is an emulsion of mostly water.
If your PCV is working and the engine broke in, you should see pretty much nothing in there.
But - it's a whatever thing, a feel good thing.
Whatever you catch in one of those means the crankcase is down by that much. So if you see a lot - get the engine fixed and watch the oil level.

OP
OP
BaneKotaKeena

BaneKotaKeena

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
PM
Ride/stability/comfort. Not beefier. 1.5" total, 0.75/side

Why do that to a new engine? I can see the CAI for the noise/sound factor, but I'd never run one of their filters. No gain for such a thing on a Gladiator (or any Jeep for that matter) but it is a risk since they don't filter as efficiently as a paper filter.

Those are typically engines with troubles, or what you see is an emulsion of mostly water.
If your PCV is working and the engine broke in, you should see pretty much nothing in there.
But - it's a whatever thing, a feel good thing.
Whatever you catch in one of those means the crankcase is down by that much. So if you see a lot - get the engine fixed and watch the oil level.
My K&N filter is not oiled. I run them on all my Harleys and have for years. That said, my Harleys have open/exposed filters and they are higher revving engines than the 3.6L. I've put these filters in most of my vehicles through the years and never had an issue. If they do let in more fine dirt, I may switch back. Probably gonna change to a cold air intake anyway.

As for the oil catch can, oil in your intake is bad, period. Stopping or reducing that is good, period.

In the short time I've had mine on, it has proven to catch oil. Therefore, it does what it says.

chr15m

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
My K&N filter is not oiled. I run them on all my Harleys and have for years. That said, my Harleys have open/exposed filters and they are higher revving engines than the 3.6L. I've put these filters in most of my vehicles through the years and never had an issue. If they do let in more fine dirt, I may switch back. Probably gonna change to a cold air intake anyway.

As for the oil catch can, oil in your intake is bad, period. Stopping or reducing that is good, period.

In the short time I've had mine on, it has proven to catch oil. Therefore, it does what it says.
Some moisture vapor, carrying trace oil is going to make it thru the PCV. Excess amounts are certainly bad, but not just for the sake of it re-entering your intake.

The amount of reviews justifying the validity of these catch cans also mean that the majority of vehicles out there have the moisture recirculated. Bad although it may be, catastrophic it is not. If it were, these would be OE parts.

The engineers would call it within normal operating parameters, while the internet descents.

Its actual worth is probably better defined by your personal appreciation of the part. The overwhelming majority of us on this forum are without it, I doubt we're overwhelmingly going to experience premature failures.
Sponsored