First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link

I’m hoping one of the many company’s that are planning to make a rack system will keep this in mind. It would be nice to have a rack that will work with the soft tonneau cover. I’m building an overland rig, as I know many will as well but it would be nice to be able to keep the storage in the bed safe and still have the ability to have a rack system for a RTT, rotopax, etc.

Hopefully some of the companies that are looking to develop products will keep this in mind.

The video shows a rack system for a Ram that works with a soft tonneau cover.
Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Old school works... Cover with a tarp as needed. Also, I just figured something out. Roll bars used to go in the bed and that was the truck side of a rack, so you could add the bed stantion and rails when needed.

img_1563_jazepe (1).jpg

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I was just thinking the same thing! I guess I’m not the only one.

And the funny thing is, I was going to pitch it to AEV, because I like their safari rack on the Brute and was going to ask them to make it for the Gladiator but accommodate for the factory tonneau cover. Ha.

I’m hoping one of the many company’s that are planning to make a rack system will keep this in mind. It would be nice to have a rack that will work with the soft tonneau cover. I’m building an overland rig, as I know many will as well but it would be nice to be able to keep the storage in the bed safe and still have the ability to have a rack system for a RTT, rotopax, etc.

Hopefully some of the companies that are looking to develop products will keep this in mind.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
That would be really cool if they could do this with a hard folding tonneau cover. I know of one person in this forum who wanted to be able have the roof off and to haul kayaks but the kayaks would have protruded into the back seats. With this option the kayaks would be over the roof area.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004

'NUTHOUSE Industries been on my radar for a year or so - 1st interested in the RAM DT ! Interesting seeing this post last week . . . reminded me; so I emailed them a couple days ago - inquiring about the Gladiator & their interest in it !
If/when i get a response I shall mention what they past along . . .

OP
OP
JTRUBI

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks man. That’s awesome.

'NUTHOUSE Industries been on my radar for a year or so - 1st interested in the RAM DT ! Interesting seeing this post last week . . . reminded me; so I emailed them a couple days ago - inquiring about the Gladiator & their interest in it !
If/when i get a response I shall mention what they past along . . .

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
The factory tonneau covers the whole top surface of the bed rails, so unfortunately no bed rack will work with it.
Tonneau to outer edge of bed rail.JPG

I'm interested in a bed rack + tonneau that work together something like Victory rack with Access 'Vanish' tonneau. The vertical supports for the bed rack need to sit toward the mid-outer part of the bed rail. The tonneau cover needs to mount & roll on the inner part of the bed rail like in this video.

While I thought this might work for the Gladiator, I noticed a problem. The last 8" of the Gladiator's bed rail is an inch or so narrower than the rest of the rail.
Bed Rail end.JPG

Every inside-mounted roll up tonneau cover I've seen needs attachment points closer to the end of the bed rail than the Gladiator offers. The factory tonneau works despite this design quirk because it locks 8" from the end ... giving it its 'convenient' flip up opening while the rest of the cover is still latched in place.
Tonneau attachment 8in from tailgate.JPG

I'm sure someone will design a bed rack + tonneau pair that will work, but we'll have to wait for it.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I’m actually thinking of getting the Decked drawer system with a Leitner rack if theirs will fit the Glad.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
I’m actually thinking of getting the Decked drawer system with a Leitner rack if theirs will fit the Glad.
I do like each of those products. But, I will need the full 17" depth for items I will need to haul.

Also, it looks like the Leitner support bars near the tailgate might interfere with the Decked product. I think this video is from an older version. Other Leitner racks now have support bars that attach to the side of the bed rather than the bottom. But, I think they still go too low to fit a 17" bed height.

If the Leitner rack doesn't work, this Wilco ADV rack has similar features & should fit with the Decked system.
https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/adv-sl-bed-rack/

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I do like each of those products. But, I will need the full 17" depth for items I will need to haul.

Also, it looks like the Leitner support bars near the tailgate might interfere with the Decked product. I think this video is from an older version. Other Leitner racks now have support bars that attach to the side of the bed rather than the bottom. But, I think they still go too low to fit a 17" bed height.

If the Leitner rack doesn't work, this Wilco ADV rack has similar features & should fit with the Decked system.
https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/adv-sl-bed-rack/
Wilco makes great products. I’ll have to bookmark that!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"