Cooltech cowl antenna mount

Bobba

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Cooltech ham/GRMS antenna mount for the cowl? Rugged Ridge has a similar one that gets bad reviews. Complaints of bending probably due to its thin aluminum construction. The Cooltech version is stainless steel so should be a little tougher. Would be using a NGP ( no ground plane)

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Cooltech antenna mount that gets bolted to the cowl? Should be a little tougher than the similar Rugged Ridge mount (ss vs aluminum) Would be used for both ham and GRMS NGP (no ground plane) antennas.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobba

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Sorry, not sure what happened there while posting. I know most would probably recommend a mount that places the antenna further forward but I have no desire to stare at an antenna "jiggling" around while driving. It seems like a cowl mounted antenna would be mostly hidden from view behind the A pilIar. I had a Diamond NGP antenna on my JK and it worked great.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I used a Compactenna dual band with a hood mount on my Subaru that worked quite well. I know that it didn't have great gain but would still reliably reach out 50mi with my Kenwood TM-D7100.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
I have one from rugged radios for my midland gmrs, have had zero issues with it. Not sure what people are doing to bend it.. has not been a worry for me at all.

Sponsored

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
3 dollar tie down bracket from Lowes

Jeep Gladiator Cooltech cowl antenna mount 1672956488751

+ Step Drill bit + Spray on bedliner with a stealth 3db antenna is what I'm using, never notice it, wiper blade still clears for windshield cleaning.

Jeep Gladiator Cooltech cowl antenna mount IMG_5951.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Cooltech cowl antenna mount IMG_5950.JPG

beathan

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S
I've been using the Cooltech mount with a Comet CA-2X4SR for ~2 years and have zero complaints, it's worked well and has been through a few car washes when I forget it was there. I do a couple of nets each week from the Jeep and get out really well in the Atlanta metro area.

Jeep Gladiator Cooltech cowl antenna mount IMG_1343
Jeep Gladiator Cooltech cowl antenna mount IMG_1344

FRAWLZLINE

First Name
MATTHEW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP GLADIATOR SPORT
Occupation
DCJR SALES AND LEASING CONSULATANT
3 dollar tie down bracket from Lowes

+ Step Drill bit + Spray on bedliner with a stealth 3db antenna is what I'm using, never notice it, wiper blade still clears for windshield cleaning.

That's clean!

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
That's clean!
Thanks, can't take credit for it though as I copied someone else on the forum, same bracket and everything.

One thing I would recommend is to just put it on the drivers side, while the wiper clears on mine, you have to bend the wiper out of the way, or you need to remove the antenna (which is easy to do, it's just hand threaded on).

I have it on the passenger just in case I want to run my whip style 6db antenna for more remote trips, keeps all my antennae on one side for a more organized look.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Sorry, not sure what happened there while posting. I know most would probably recommend a mount that places the antenna further forward but I have no desire to stare at an antenna "jiggling" around while driving. It seems like a cowl mounted antenna would be mostly hidden from view behind the A pilIar. I had a Diamond NGP antenna on my JK and it worked great.
Yes, I am using 2 CoolTech Cowl mounts for my GMRS and CB antenna. They work great. Here is a pic:

5H51UC.jpg

OP
OP

Bobba

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Appreciate all the input so far especially beathan and hjdca. So far, the Cooltech mount is looking like my best option. My goal was to find a mount that :

1. Positions the antenna out of my line of sight when driving as much as possible.

2. Securely mounts a 31-33" no ground plane antenna without bending.

3. No or minimal impact to any painted surfaces.

So it sounds like I would have to make the hole larger for a quality NMO mount such as Laird or Larsen. Any experience with that? I see on the Cooltech site you can buy these with a Midland mount/cable but it doesn't even say what size coax. Not exactly confidence inspiring. Last question, why has no one painted theirs LOL?

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
OP
OP

Bobba

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
b-roc-Could you provide a little more detail as to what broke on the Midland cable/nmo mount? After a pretty extensive search I believe the Midland coax provided with their nmo mount is RG58u. Cooltech also offers a kit that includes the bracket and a 10' shortened coax/nmo assy for front mounted installs. Of course they charge extra for the shortened setup. Since someone asked about the Rugged Ridge bracket, check out the Amazon reviews. Lot of bending complaints.

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
The break was at the 90 degree adapter ... I have thrown the broken one away but did go ahead and get a (unused because the ebay purchase was of significantly higher quality) replacement midland that I am including pictures of below and will point at where the break occurred at the plastic weld on the original... the solder underneath also broke ... let me know what else

I suggest using the cooltech mount ... get a better 90 degree adapter that is suitable for being outside of a jeep ... pick your favorite coax

16729779022072624047183574636259.jpg

16729779443545656677099438482785.jpg

16729779875345998221669134190767.jpg

16729780168306378001540785084981.jpg
Sponsored