Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
MFG
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if this was posted, just spent time looking and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a 2023 Gladiator Rubicon with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires.

I have heard that once you lift the tow capacity is lowered. I was 1. wondering if this is true, and if it is, is there a simple way to figure out what the new towing capacity could possibly be?
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have heard that once you lift the tow capacity is lowered. I was 1. wondering if this is true, and if it is, is there a simple way to figure out what the new towing capacity could possibly be?
Yep. Nope.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
The lift might effect payload, increasing the tire diameter changes the effective gearing. You're changes are pretty small, so unless you're pushing the envelope, you're probably still with in safe parameters.

I'm sure there's a mathematical formula to calculate your change in gear ratio

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if this was posted, just spent time looking and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a 2023 Gladiator Rubicon with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires.

Any suspension change from the stock configuration lowers towing capacity. Lifting changes the center of gravity and impacts stability. Larger tires adds more weight, and affects stopping ability. It also depends on what is being towed. Is it a tall trailer with a large frontal area, or a small trailer with a low profile?

I would suggest a target of around 80% of rated towing capacity. Of course, there are those that say you should not exceed 80% capacity when in the factory configuration. You'll just have to test pull what you want to buy and see how well the truck, and yourself, can handle it.

OP
OP
CPTRU1114

CPTRU1114

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MFG
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you guys for that. Helps in the thought process.

Sponsored

Farmer Fran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude (Metro-Jethro) 2023
You need to look at you GVWR, get the truck weighed, subtract the 2 and that is your "new payload". So from there you can look at your available tongue weight options.

What are you towing?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Nope.
LOL - very to the point.

All one can say is the higher the lift, the lower the capacity.
And you can't improve towing capacity or payload with any change. All a change will do is lower either.
Well, if you stripped it of seats, bumpers, fenders, and more - you'd gain payload by the amount of weight stripped out of it, but a lift will negate that.
The lift might effect payload, increasing the tire diameter changes the effective gearing. You're changes are pretty small, so unless you're pushing the envelope, you're probably still with in safe parameters.

I'm sure there's a mathematical formula to calculate your change in gear ratio
3 1/2" lift isn't small and will have a fair impact on both numbers.

The numbers are calculated on a lot more than your gearing.

People try to narrow it down and out-engineer the engineers, but I guess that's expected. A user name and password gives you a degree.

OP
OP
CPTRU1114

CPTRU1114

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MFG
Vehicle Showcase
Im trying to pull a trailer that is in the 5k LB range. I believe my towing (stock) is at 7k lbs

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Im trying to pull a trailer that is in the 5k LB range. I believe my towing (stock) is at 7k lbs
Yes, Rubicon 3.6 with automatic is 7,000 towing.

That's a fair margin - I'd expect it to be ok with a couple of caveats -
Steering and braking may be affected.
So be sure to keep the speed down and allow room for the fools ahead of you to do something stupid - giving you space and time to avoid them.
But you should still be ok as even if the lift just for sake of a number out of the air, dropped it to 6,000 - you are still well under that.
Tow level, tow safe, weight distribution hitch, load things carefully as your rig could be more prone to sway than stock height to the increase in center of gravity.

The short of it - I'd give it a go.

MudderNuker

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR
Occupation
Retired@52
What Papa said but I would add a trailer brake controller. My setup for our camper includes friction bars that minimize sway and transfer the load to the front wheels. I don't like WD hitches with chains. Some people do as some come with a side mounted sway

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What Papa said but I would add a trailer brake controller. My setup for our camper includes friction bars that minimize sway and transfer the load to the front wheels. I don't like WD hitches with chains. Some people do as some come with a side mounted sway
If he's pulling 5,000 pounds, it's required, law. Hope he knows that but can't hurt to say it.

These have electronic sway control, but I'd sure do the hitch with its own sway control as well on a lifted vehicle.

He likely will need a drop hitch setup to keep what he's pulling as level as possible with a lift of 3" or better.
Sponsored