Sponsored

Using an Xtrusion overland rack as a base for DIY enclosed topper... or just go Alu-Cab Contour Canopy

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
My thoughts and idea is to use the xtrusion overland rack as the base for an enclosed Topper/camping space when wanting or needing that option. Making removable hard panels.

What I need: 1. to be able to have a rack that sits cab height or slightly higher (cab height preferred and just use loading blocks of some sort when carrying paddle boards, surfboards, kayaks, lumber and/or barbells).

2. The ability to make the space lockable and safe when needed. When either traveling/camping or when I have my CrossFit equipment loaded up for hauling to my clients when I need to leave it in the truck for a couple days due to back to back days of training... I go to people and work with a lot of special populations that either can't travel to a CrossFit box or can't afford it (older folks, cancer patients, kids with autism, parents with small kids and no child care available etc). We also have two larger size dogs that I think this idea would be easier to keep them cooler or warmer if we stopped somewhere that they aren't allowed.

3. easy for me to switch to an open style when needed.

4. Provide a stealth sleeping option when we are traveling to see family and just need to rest up on the drive.... or a no set up situation when the weather is less than stellar on arrival to a camp site.

I have a couple ideas... with the possiblity of having removable panels, I thought it would also be possible to have a section that could be added to the top that would mimic the top portion of a go-fast camper sleep area that could be easily be put on when needed or swapped out with a standard top panel when non needed. The side hinge options would allow for access to the bed from outside as well as a vented window of some sort. The slide out options could potentially offer a slide out tent portion (if you didn't want to/or it wouldn't work) to allow the bed to be 6' and still be enclosed with a quick set up for sleeping without having one of those tent things the bungees to the outside of the wheel wells.

I have talked with the guys at Xtrusion overland and they have been awesome at answering all of my many questions. They do have plans for panels that enclose the rack but they are more of MOLLE panel type enclosure to keep sticky hands out, not so much for weather proof enclosure. I have not been able to see one of these racks in person so I am not sure if my thoughts of design are possible and would love any feedback from anyone who has one or has had one. I think for this design to work best it would be better to have the length of rack that is made for the BAK X4s cover.

..... or am I crazy and should just go with the Alu-Cab Contour Canopy and just know that I have a permanent cap. I have thought about the soft topper but I think it has gone to the bottom of the list at this point.

I'd love any feedback or ideas, thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
It seems like those racks stop short of the tailgate which would make it interesting to enclose. I wonder if something like the GFC Topper would work (I've been looking at them heavily). They're light, have fly open doors that I've seen people remove, and substantial load carrying capacity.

OP
OP
Krash1642

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like those racks stop short of the tailgate which would make it interesting to enclose. I wonder if something like the GFC Topper would work (I've been looking at them heavily). They're light, have fly open doors that I've seen people remove, and substantial load carrying capacity.
Yes the standard one stops short of the tailgate as well as the bulkhead area, but if you get the Bak X4s version allows you to attach the rack to the t-slot rails of the tonneau cover.

I have also looked at the GFC Topper.... I love that you can remove the panels but I don't as much like the limiting access to he bed by the diagonal support bars for longer items, which is sort of why I had moved that down the list as well and have the alu-cab contour canopy up the ladder... it not off but with some of the stuff I have in there I think the GFC one would make that a lil more challenging.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
My thoughts and idea is to use the xtrusion overland rack as the base for an enclosed Topper/camping space when wanting or needing that option. Making removable hard panels.

What I need: 1. to be able to have a rack that sits cab height or slightly higher (cab height preferred and just use loading blocks of some sort when carrying paddle boards, surfboards, kayaks, lumber and/or barbells).

2. The ability to make the space lockable and safe when needed. When either traveling/camping or when I have my CrossFit equipment loaded up for hauling to my clients when I need to leave it in the truck for a couple days due to back to back days of training... I go to people and work with a lot of special populations that either can't travel to a CrossFit box or can't afford it (older folks, cancer patients, kids with autism, parents with small kids and no child care available etc). We also have two larger size dogs that I think this idea would be easier to keep them cooler or warmer if we stopped somewhere that they aren't allowed.

3. easy for me to switch to an open style when needed.

4. Provide a stealth sleeping option when we are traveling to see family and just need to rest up on the drive.... or a no set up situation when the weather is less than stellar on arrival to a camp site.

I have a couple ideas... with the possiblity of having removable panels, I thought it would also be possible to have a section that could be added to the top that would mimic the top portion of a go-fast camper sleep area that could be easily be put on when needed or swapped out with a standard top panel when non needed. The side hinge options would allow for access to the bed from outside as well as a vented window of some sort. The slide out options could potentially offer a slide out tent portion (if you didn't want to/or it wouldn't work) to allow the bed to be 6' and still be enclosed with a quick set up for sleeping without having one of those tent things the bungees to the outside of the wheel wells.

I have talked with the guys at Xtrusion overland and they have been awesome at answering all of my many questions. They do have plans for panels that enclose the rack but they are more of MOLLE panel type enclosure to keep sticky hands out, not so much for weather proof enclosure. I have not been able to see one of these racks in person so I am not sure if my thoughts of design are possible and would love any feedback from anyone who has one or has had one. I think for this design to work best it would be better to have the length of rack that is made for the BAK X4s cover.

..... or am I crazy and should just go with the Alu-Cab Contour Canopy and just know that I have a permanent cap. I have thought about the soft topper but I think it has gone to the bottom of the list at this point.

I'd love any feedback or ideas, thanks in advance!!
I DIY’d an xtrusion overland copy with material from tnutz.com. Wasn’t much cheaper (~$1000 with shipping with extra slide-outs worth ~$250; theirs is like ~$1000 without) and is square instead of angled like theirs, so food for thought on that.
Either way it would be pretty easy to slap some sheeting material (aluminum, etc) on the sides and top. The fact they use extrusion means it’s easy to add on things on wherever you want, you can get hinges for side panels, or like I put in some slide-out rails on the insides (I think about $250 for two bed length in materials).

OP
OP
Krash1642

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
I DIY’d an xtrusion overland copy with material from tnutz.com. Wasn’t much cheaper (~$1000 with shipping with extra slide-outs worth ~$250; theirs is like ~$1000 without) and is square instead of angled like theirs, so food for thought on that.
Either way it would be pretty easy to slap some sheeting material (aluminum, etc) on the sides and top. The fact they use extrusion means it’s easy to add on things on wherever you want, you can get hinges for side panels, or like I put in some slide-out rails on the insides (I think about $250 for two bed length in materials).
I was thinking if i go this route it would be just as easy to go with theirs as I added up and wouldn't really save a lot in money and I'd have the cab angle already. ...and i was thinking adding the panels should be easy but in talking with one of the guys he didn't think I could make it waterproof... I think If it did it correctly I could. Thank you so much for your input. Do you have some pics of what you did? I feel like I may have seen it somewhere in my searching but can't seem to find it now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krash1642

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
I do feel there are benefits of each route... I do enjoy designing and building things that suit exactly what I want to use it for but at the some time, I don't want to buy the rack and other add-ons only to have it fail (that would be a pretty costly fail), lol

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
It sounds like one of your options is what I did but just with a soft top material:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/soft-top-over-my-bed-rack.63041/

I went with the soft top material only bc it was cheaper vs some form of a sheet metal cover.

It sounds like you may want the sheet metal version since you may want to drill through for any additional attachments. I may go this route when the soft top finally gives way.

I say if you like building stuff, go for it!

OP
OP
Krash1642

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like one of your options is what I did but just with a soft top material:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/soft-top-over-my-bed-rack.63041/

I went with the soft top material only bc it was cheaper vs some form of a sheet metal cover.

It sounds like you may want the sheet metal version since you may want to drill through for any additional attachments. I may go this route when the soft top finally gives way.

I say if you like building stuff, go for it!
YES!! I remember seeing yours when I was trying to figure out how to enclose the Compact Camping concept rack I built. The mid-height just doesn't workout well with my boards etc... but I love that you can still have things covered and out of the weather and still use your rack. Two years ago I made an awning to attach to my rack, my grandma (93 at the time, taught me how to sew) and I practiced with a thick tarp and will use it that way until the tarp needs replacing, then I get some soft top vinyl or some waterproof canvas or something. I Think I could maybe make something similar to what you have as temporary (not nearly as good, but usable I think).

It seems sheet metal would be easy enough to use to fabricate and attach.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
YES!! I remember seeing yours when I was trying to figure out how to enclose the Compact Camping concept rack I built. The mid-height just doesn't workout well with my boards etc... but I love that you can still have things covered and out of the weather and still use your rack. Two years ago I made an awning to attach to my rack, my grandma (93 at the time, taught me how to sew) and I practiced with a thick tarp and will use it that way until the tarp needs replacing, then I get some soft top vinyl or some waterproof canvas or something. I Think I could maybe make something similar to what you have as temporary (not nearly as good, but usable I think).

It seems sheet metal would be easy enough to use to fabricate and attach.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
Love me some Camping Concepts! I'm currently in the process of building out my utility trailer with their stuff. JUST recently I've been thinking about going the extruded aluminum route...

Something else to think about too....you can always do the sheet metal on the inside of the rack. This way, you still have access to the rails w/o having to drill anything. Just have to worry about how to drain away any rain...

But looking forward to see what you come up with...

OP
OP
Krash1642

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Love me some Camping Concepts! I'm currently in the process of building out my utility trailer with their stuff. JUST recently I've been thinking about going the extruded aluminum route...

Something else to think about too....you can always do the sheet metal on the inside of the rack. This way, you still have access to the rails w/o having to drill anything. Just have to worry about how to drain away any rain...

But looking forward to see what you come up with...
Yes, I love that their stuff is affordable and you can use your imagination with it as well. I used it to make a rack in conjunction with some uni-strut and then made and awning with unistrut to attach to the crossbars that were also uni-strut.

Extruded aluminum is cool way to go also. Can't wait to see what you come up with! Here are some pics of my rack and awning together.

DJ 1st beach test shot 2 very windy.jpg

DJ 1st beach test deployed very windy.jpg

DJ test open driveway awning deployed.jpg

DJ driveway close up corners.jpg

DJ side shot closed awning.jpg

DJ side shot2 rolled up awning.jpg

Sponsored

Gray Matter Jeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
n/a
Sounds like you're already wanting an inclosed space, so buy a topper.

1. They are way more dust, mud & tree branch proof.
2. They are way more secure (from theves & prankster friends).
3. Alu-Cab products weigh less that some steel bed racks. They're aluminum... Just 125 lbs.
4. I remove mine (on occasion) with the hard top hoist we have for our Wrangler.

Jeep Gladiator Using an Xtrusion overland rack as a base for DIY enclosed topper... or just go Alu-Cab Contour Canopy 341325216_160135830014437_6211230469828610212_n

OP
OP
Krash1642

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you're already wanting an inclosed space, so buy a topper.

1. They are way more dust, mud & tree branch proof.
2. They are way more secure (from theves & prankster friends).
3. Alu-Cab products weigh less that some steel bed racks. They're aluminum... Just 125 lbs.
4. I remove mine (on occasion) with the hard top hoist we have for our Wrangler.

Jeep Gladiator Using an Xtrusion overland rack as a base for DIY enclosed topper... or just go Alu-Cab Contour Canopy 341325216_160135830014437_6211230469828610212_n
Thanks for your feedback, yes, I think an enclosed space would be best for our usage. As I posted this and we sat down and had some pros and cons to each, the Alu-Cab contour canopy is winning... the appeal to be able to try and design/build something with the xtrustion overland rack is fun, but in the end most likely wouldn't be as good of a fit for the day in and day out use... We don't yet have a garage so at this point I could use a hard top hoist, but could easliy build a rack to put it on if we needed to take it off... thought I will keep in mind the hard top hoist for when we do build a garage ( hopefully in the next 5 years). Again, thanks for you input, much appreciated!!
Sponsored