Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
How much will that 20 mile range lower once you add a lift / tires? How will the towing be when the battery is dead on longer trips?
The battery is never fully dead, it basically keeps 15% for it's own use even when it says 0. When you are towing you are steady state using the gas engine for the vast majority of it allowing the battery to charge off the engine. The battery is used to power the power adder so when you step on it to accelerate is when some battery will be used which is then replished when you stop accelerating.

So far all towing tests with the 4xe on the jlu forum rate it as the best towing wrangler besides the 392 because of the torque and the much better brakes.

There is a chance that if you were flooring it up the Eisenhower Pass or something for mile after mile that you could possibly reach thermal limits for the engine and prevent it from adding charge, which could eventually drop it down to just the base engine, but again under normal driving conditions this would be a non-issue.

Edit: people get fixated on the all electric range, but once the battery shows <1% on that, it switches to a traditional hybrid like the new tundra or Tacoma but with an even bigger battery still on reserve.
Sponsored

Last edited:

OldSarge

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Off-roader, fisherman
The major issues with all these hybrid systems is complexity and weight. Yes, Toyota is going fullon hybrid on their way to full electric because of the EPA mileage requirements, but that's Toyota who builds a superior quality product. Even at that I wouldn't buy one.

For Jeep, unfortunately solid state and other battery improvements are future state. It has been right around the corner for years and yet here we are with the same Lithium tech as we have had for a long time. That means to get meaningful range, you add a ton of weight to the vehicle. Exactly the opposite of what you want for a JT. Solid state batteries will be a game changer someday, but not in the next 3-4 years.

So, A JT 4XE? Heavier, more complex, lower payload capacity, and puny electric range would be what I expect. For the type of driving I do, long distance overlanding trips, it makes no sense. My JT with the bed rack, RTT, camping equipment is already pretty loaded down. For others, who use theirs for commuting and limited to no offroad, probably makes more sense to save $ on gas. Other than that, I don't get it.

Personally, I feel like all the JT engine choices stink. My 3.6 is only adequate, the 2.0t is no better. Adding an electric motor is just a band-aid for lousy engines. I also own a Bronco and that 2.7t is absolutely superior. I can only believe the lackluster engines in the JT are a big reason for the large dealer inventories. 2024 was a big let down when they didn't announce the new hurricane engine for Jeep. Would have been awesome. A JT 4xE? Not awesome.

Dick

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Juliet Tango Romeo
Occupation
Living rent free in Bill's head
For those who haven't noticed, the United States electrical grid along with the entire infrastructure is collapsing, just take a look around your hometown and the roads and highways if you think I'm wrong. This country is bankrupt. If they don't have the money and manpower to repair what we already have, how are they going to build and distribute hundreds of thousands of EV charging stations, let alone generate the power to run them. It's a complete child's fairy tale and will never, ever happen.

Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
Alternative engines need looked at, the EV is not the answer.... maybe hybrid, but not full electric for at least 25 years until the grids can be fixed and the earth mined to the core for copper and other required EV elements

https://www.hotcars.com/omega-1-engine/

STACHES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Alltrack, '74 X1/9, '71 240z, '66 C10
Occupation
Manufacturing Automation
For those who haven't noticed, the United States electrical grid along with the entire infrastructure is collapsing, just take a look around your hometown and the roads and highways if you think I'm wrong. This country is bankrupt. If they don't have the money and manpower to repair what we already have, how are they going to build and distribute hundreds of thousands of EV charging stations, let alone generate the power to run them. It's a complete child's fairy tale and will never, ever happen.
They said the same thing about building roads and fuel stations 100 years ago.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Toyota who builds a superior quality product
My Tacoma: ( yes 1 personal anecdote )

Steering column broke and fell into my lap, wheel was going in and out like a Boeing yoke. nearly died

A/C sealed system failed 4x first 10k miles

Rear main seal gone in 12k

Radio requires me to punch it to turn on

It's a total POS. I heard about Toyota "quality". I sure didn't get it. Thank God it's my work truck and I didn't pay for it.

Dick

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Juliet Tango Romeo
Occupation
They said the same thing about building roads and fuel stations 100 years ago.
And the entire world will be flooded by 2018 because of climate change, lol If ICE is so bad, why aren't private jets being banned? Oh, wait, they emit the good pollution. :LOL: It's a total scam

OldSarge

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Off-roader, fisherman
My Tacoma: ( yes 1 personal anecdote )

Steering column broke and fell into my lap, wheel was going in and out like a Boeing yoke. nearly died

A/C sealed system failed 4x first 10k miles

Rear main seal gone in 12k

Radio requires me to punch it to turn on

It's a total POS. I heard about Toyota "quality". I sure didn't get it. Thank God it's my work truck and I didn't pay for it.
OUCH! Glad its the work truck at least.

Sponsored

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Alternative engines need looked at, the EV is not the answer.... maybe hybrid, but not full electric for at least 25 years until the grids can be fixed and the earth mined to the core for copper and other required EV elements

https://www.hotcars.com/omega-1-engine/
I'd like to see some diesel generator "hybrids" like the Audi Etron Dakar racer. The diesel is a generator only so always runs at low RPMs (~1500) and super efficient while keeping the main battery charged. I guess in Europe Mercedes has done some consumer vehicles like this...

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
I'd like to see some diesel generator "hybrids" like the Audi Etron Dakar racer. The diesel is a generator only so always runs at low RPMs (~1500) and super efficient while keeping the main battery charged. I guess in Europe Mercedes has done some consumer vehicles like this...
Agree, locomotive style.....

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
A small diesel would be nice
That $300m diesel fine last year probably was the nail in the coffin for Stallantis diesels in the US.

Dick

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Juliet Tango Romeo
Occupation
With the numbers the 2.0T and Hurricane six are putting out, 270/295(2.0T) 420/468(Cat 1) up to over 1,000 Hp, there's no need for Stellantis to design, produce or use anything else. These two engines will power everything (sans heavy diesel trucks) at different performance levels. It's ingenious logistics, they can power their entire production line with two engines.

Dave-in-RI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GrowMeaningful.com
Vehicle(s)
2010 Subaru Outback (trade-in for 4xe Gladiator)
Occupation
Nonprofit Organizational Development Consultant
Me watching the forum vs reality over the years

IMG_6376.png

IMG_6377.gif
Sponsored