First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
AMC Pacer, and I forgot the other one actually. I just remember this discussion from when the Gladiator was first photographed (probably broke the camera).

One of the failings of the Lightning is the wasted chance to design a truck that breaks all the rules, instead going for the generic old look. I understand that trend-humping fashion lemmings want their truck to be accepted by the other lemmings.
Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
now I have to know what you put as #2 and #3 all time ugliest
Can I guess and say Pontiac's Aztek is one of them?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
No HHR? or the weirdass HHR truck abomination? Only the back end of the cab gets me on the Gladiator.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I honestly can't wait for a 4xe Glaidator or even an all electric version. I know those are both far off (especially the all electric), but it makes so much sense to me. I hope an all electric is 300+ miles of range as well. I can not wait for when those are built.
300 miles would be cool for a daily drive for sure.......but useless to me needing to drive 600-1100 miles on a road trip. Gassers or diesels will never go away for this reason

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Can I guess and say Pontiac's Aztek is one of them?
YEAH! That was it!!

300 miles would be cool for a daily drive for sure.......but useless to me needing to drive 600-1100 miles on a road trip. Gassers or diesels will never go away for this reason
My bladder has around a 200 mile limit. Driving from Phoenix to Los Angeles, the Tesla (320 range) can just supercharge at the exact same place I fuel the gasser. No real change. I arrive there and plug in, slow charge overnight. With the CT expected to do over 500, that changes everything. Just as good as a diesel.

Sponsored

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
I rented a car in Chicago and was given a Pontiac Aztek. Multiple cars would slow down as they passed me, wave, and pretty much use any gesture imaginable indicating my (rental) car was the ugliest abomination they've ever seen. Before you buy a Cyber Truck, try to find an Aztec to prepare yourself for CT driving days.
I showed a image to a kid that loves vehicles and within two seconds said it was incredibly ugly and lost interest.
The gladiator doesn't elicit that type of reaction.
I'm not sure what's going on in the northeast, but on a two hour drive today I saw five high-end bus type RV's all pulling gladiators.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I'm perfectly happy with being judged by idiots. You should see the shoes I wear too (Fivefingers, exclusively).

Last night I realized that electric trucks with high-cap batteries, like the Tesla, may change camping a lot. You'll be able to run AC/microwave/etc without a generator. The question of course would be how long, and how far away from a charger you can go. For most of our camping, I think we'd have a fuckload of run time available (small travel trailer). For perspective, a typical trailer has two batteries with a total of 2.6kWH, and only half of that should be used or you will damage the batteries. The CT is expected to have at least 150kWH. To run the AC, microwave, or even a coffee maker, you need a generator, shore power, or a monster battery and inverter.

roth_nj

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I'm perfectly happy with being judged by idiots. You should see the shoes I wear too (Fivefingers, exclusively).

Last night I realized that electric trucks with high-cap batteries, like the Tesla, may change camping a lot. You'll be able to run AC/microwave/etc without a generator. The question of course would be how long, and how far away from a charger you can go. For most of our camping, I think we'd have a fuckload of run time available (small travel trailer). For perspective, a typical trailer has two batteries with a total of 2.6kWH, and only half of that should be used or you will damage the batteries. The CT is expected to have at least 150kWH. To run the AC, microwave, or even a coffee maker, you need a generator, shore power, or a monster battery and inverter.

i didnt read through this thread - came across it searching 4xe stuff

but have you see the rivian and its camping stove slide out? doing the math simply on battery size and stove wattage, you could run that thing for days (ignoring the need to drive). but if your at a camp site with an outlet its an amazing option

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase

but have you see the rivian and its camping stove slide out? doing the math simply on battery size and stove wattage, you could run that thing for days (ignoring the need to drive). but if your at a camp site with an outlet its an amazing option
I've had my eye on them since they've been announced. Such an awesome platform, amazing specs, and stylish design. And I agree the pull out kitchen is awesome.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek

Seems a little silly, since you can just buy an electric skillet or propane portable to take with you. But the Rivian is a non-starter unless they get to market really soon. Costs more, and has far less existing support. Makes no sense. If they don't launch well before Tesla and Ford, they are done for.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Seems a little silly, since you can just buy an electric skillet or propane portable to take with you. But the Rivian is a non-starter unless they get to market really soon. Costs more, and has far less existing support. Makes no sense. If they don't launch well before Tesla and Ford, they are done for.
They launch like, imminently. There will be a niche market at first but I think Rivian has the right stuff.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I'll believe it when I see it. I'll be lined up for a test drive and a close decision, but also after having spent time with a Tesla and two other EVs, it's going to be hard to sway me away from the charger support of Tesla. Charging on a road trip is a big deal.

roth_nj

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I'll believe it when I see it. I'll be lined up for a test drive and a close decision, but also after having spent time with a Tesla and two other EVs, it's going to be hard to sway me away from the charger support of Tesla. Charging on a road trip is a big deal.

as of right now, ford is saying spring of 22 for theres and rivian is january. so right now my bet is on rivian to market.... as for tesla, good luck. your about 2 years out from being 2 years out. and the cybertruck you see now will not be the production version

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Everyone is saying about the same thing, and I don't believe any of them. The Ford is a bad joke unless it's just an in-town work truck. And probably still then, but it's well outside my market.

Claiming that Tesla is far behind the others is silly. Look what they've delivered so far. Often late, usually pretty much as promised for abilities.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
The 4xe was the best selling PHEV last quarter in the US. Not sure what that says about the market yet lol. I know I want 1.
Sponsored