Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap.... 250lb less than my 21. How can the bumpers and some power seat motors reduce it that much? Also considering the springs are different which should have alleviated some of the payload 'loss' from the bumpers...

24... extra airbags etc.....man that is the lowest payload I've seen.
LOL - seems like everyone concentrates on...........
Springs springs springs - that's not payload!
Springs have little to do with it.
You can't swap springs and change payload.
Payload is curb weight subtracted from GVWR.
The Mojave X is damned HEAVY.

The bumpers, the rock rails, the power seats, air bags, all the extra wiring, yeah, for sure.
Adding the front bumper and power steps to my Overland had a similar effect, so a Mojave X would end up with the same payload left as my modified Overland.

Take my overland at about 950 - subtract for the power steps (about the same as the rails on the Mojave X) and subtract for the front steep bumper and you end up about the same as a Mojave X - so the Mojave X is BETTER in that sense.

It's the lowest I've seen but if any Gladiator owner was really honest - their payloads would be less by the time they put 1500 pounds of stuff on their stock JT.
Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
LOL - seems like everyone concentrates on...........
Springs springs springs - that's not payload!
Springs have little to do with it.
You can't swap springs and change payload.
Payload is curb weight subtracted from GVWR.
The Mojave X is damned HEAVY.

The bumpers, the rock rails, the power seats, air bags, all the extra wiring, yeah, for sure.
Adding the front bumper and power steps to my Overland had a similar effect, so a Mojave X would end up with the same payload left as my modified Overland.

Take my overland at about 950 - subtract for the power steps (about the same as the rails on the Mojave X) and subtract for the front steep bumper and you end up about the same as a Mojave X - so the Mojave X is BETTER in that sense.

It's the lowest I've seen but if any Gladiator owner was really honest - their payloads would be less by the time they put 1500 pounds of stuff on their stock JT.
I'd have to lose weight to drive my family of 5 in a Mojave X. My 3 teenagers and wife are in shape! lol

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Why is a Sport Max Tow nearly 500lbs higher payload than a Sport??

It can't be just weight. Something else is there.

Also.... Pre 24 Rubicons with steel front option I've seen with higher payloads than my Mojave. No way my truck is heavier.

Suspension must have something to do with it....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why is a Sport Max Tow nearly 500lbs higher payload than a Sport??

It can't be just weight. Something else is there.

Also.... Pre 24 Rubicons with steel front option I've seen with higher payloads than my Mojave. No way my truck is heavier.

Suspension must have something to do with it....
Some of it, yes.
Springs, height, weight, tire size.
It's a package deal.
But you can do the math by taking the GVWR and subtracting the curb weight to get payload.
They've pretty much done that and stuck on the door sticker.

Why is my 2022 about 90 pounds less payload than my 2020 was and yet - the differences are transfer case, aux switches (which gives me the bigger battery than my 2020 had) and the Gorilla glass (which is lighter than standard)
The truck should weigh almost the same - same truck with only 3 changes

You have a Mojave with a different frame, heavier shocks, steel hood, how about CI knuckles? Doesn't Mojave have those?............ probably other changes making it heavier.

Sponsored

Scott0700

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
If I didn’t get the Rubicon, I would have just gotten a Sport S. I don’t see the value in a Willys. While the Rubicon and Mojave cost more, you get most of it back when you sell or trade it.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
It blows my mind when people compare the Willys against the Rubicon or Mojave quoting a 12k price differential.

#1 where did you learn to round?

#2 what happens when we equip them the same? You're all forgetting the Mojave and Rubicon have a number of standard features that are optional extra on the Willys. You match all those up and the difference is under 8k (assuming you'd want all that anyway).

It is wild what a difference a year makes though. 2023 and earlier, the price differential between equally equipped Rubi/Javes and Willys was under $2500. Seems they got more serious on the Willys pricing and I'm happy to see it. Willys looks to be 2k cheaper in 2024 than it was in 2023, whereas the Rubi/Javes have gone up. Seeing as all 3 trims got more standard features, this seems to be the biggest win for the 2024 Willys.

All that being said: I've bought both a Willys (6 months ownership) and a Mojave (2 years ownership) before, and given the choice i'd go Mojave again.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
The Mojave reinforced frame has to have something to do with it. Seeing how we all speculate on what exactly is reinforced compared to a Rubicon, we still don't know. For all we do know the Mojave frame could weigh twice as much as a Rubicon.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The Mojave reinforced frame has to have something to do with it. Seeing how we all speculate on what exactly is reinforced compared to a Rubicon, we still don't know. For all we do know the Mojave frame could weigh twice as much as a Rubicon.
When the Mojave model launched in late 2020, they had a stripped frame model at the various press events that highlighted the changed area. Also, only the Mojave model has a unique frame for the gas engine version. Rubicon shares the same frame as the other non Mojave trims

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
Interesting, good video, thank @Hootbro
Sponsored