Crazy wind noise - premium soft top

DakotaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Got a great deal on a premium soft top, new in box. Just installed it this evening and went out for a drive. I am getting ridiculous wind noise from the front of this thing. It’s a dead calm night in ND and it appears everything was installed correctly.

Kind of at a loss right now. It’s loud, like really loud, even at 20mph. Any ideas on what I should try?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Have you checked to see if you have any gaps between st and windshield? there should be no light or gap

OP
OP

DakotaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
No real gaps that I can see. I did adjust both the latches on the top and the Jeep itself, didn’t help. Upon further investigation, I don‘t know that it is seated properly in the front channel, especially the driver‘s side. Looking like I’ll need to pull the back window and reseat the top into the channels. Which is a bummer, because that window was a b*tch to Install. Will try again tomorrow. Wish me luck!

ArchEtech

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon M6
Considering the wind noise on a hardtop…..

Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Mine came from the factory sitting a quarter inch high on the passenger side and sounded like a wind tunnel.

Check the channels the top sits in on the sides of the cab. If that all checks out, check to make sure the top fits correctly above the windshield. The top should sit flush with the top of the windshield. Check the tension on the clamps under the sun visors and adjust as needed.

Fungi3

First Name
Fungi3
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP GLADIATOR ALTITUDE
Occupation
Lover of Life
Got a great deal on a premium soft top, new in box. Just installed it this evening and went out for a drive. I am getting ridiculous wind noise from the front of this thing. It’s a dead calm night in ND and it appears everything was installed correctly.

Kind of at a loss right now. It’s loud, like really loud, even at 20mph. Any ideas on what I should try?

Thanks!
What top is it? Is it a Mopar Premium Twill top? New or used? There is definitely something wrong with the install. You almost never need to adjust the front hold down latches. Sounds like something was assembled/installed incorrectly. I suggest you first go to the Mopar premium soft top install video AND the Quadratec YouTube Gladiator premium soft top install video. See if you can identify anything you may have installed incorrectly. Sounds like the problem is in the over-the-doors side pieces. If they're on their correct side (they're marked) and fastened down correctly with the correct bolts, then maybe you put one of the side pieces over a rubber seal. That would lift the front of the top 1/4 too high. Make sure the top sits well into the water channel on both sides and that it seats totally flat on the top of the windshield. If it's not seated way down into the rain gutter all the way down the sides, that will not work. If there is even 1/16" of not totally flat on the windshield in the front, that will not work either. If you're getting air noise, then air and water will easily come inside.

OP
OP

DakotaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Mopar twill, brand new. Watched the quadratec install video frame by frame. Just took the 4 top bolts out, had my wife in the bed pulling on the top, to seat it properly into the channels. Retightened everything, drivers side now latches harder, passenger side more loose. But, I’m 90% sure this fixed this issue. A little tough to tell at the moment as I haven’t reinstalled the back window (safari mode!!). Will be a nice weekend so leaving as is for now. I think, I think is good now. Will report back after rear window is installed. Thanks guys!!

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
something is not right if you have excessive wind noise. Mine is premium twill soft top, bought on truck Aug 2019. Performs flawlessly still year round no garage and only top I have.

S3th136

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Give it a day or so in the sun. I bought a new in box top off Facebook and thought the exact thing when I installed it. I was reading somewhere that the hardtop really crushed the foam or whatever is in-place around the windshield channel (was getting a ton of air noise around the top mirror). After a day it went away. I bought a premium top, and I will say it is a bit louder than a hardtop but it is also cloth.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DakotaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
that makes me feel better. Thanks!

OP
OP

DakotaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Left the Jeep out in the sun yesterday. Reinstalled the back window last night. All good now, much, much quieter. Thanks all!!

Banned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Occupation
Mariner

Thanks!
If you remove the top, it will no longer leak.