Sponsored

Driving your gladiator off the paved road

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
That's a feature not a bug.
You want to go slow over rocky terrain. 4 to 1 gives you that.

Switching between 4L and 4H/2H takes practice. I still have to get better at it.
It's definitely working as designed. It's just not a great "all around" ratio. I'd love a 3 speed tcase or a doubler.
Sponsored

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
I have a Rubicon JT and noticed if I drive on a dirt road in 4H it’s EXTREMELY bouncy and everything rattles. I know airing down will help, yet sometimes I can’t.
Let’s say your driving for a few mins on a dirt road but are back to pavement, how would you guys drive on the dirt road, and what settings would you use if you can’t air down? I was seeing Mini vans and Prius take the same road and they had no issues. What am I doing wrong?
For that situation try 4HI and disconnecting the sway bar. May take some stiffness out and give you a little relief. Otherwise you're not doing anything wrong, just have to slow down. The other cars you mentioned have IFS.

Last edited:

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
That's a feature not a bug.
You want to go slow over rocky terrain. 4 to 1 gives you that.

Switching between 4L and 4H/2H takes practice. I still have to get better at it.
I haven't even had the chance to try getting mine into 4L. I have put it into 4H on some occasions when I was off the pavement but not 4L

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Do you scream "Send it!" or "Hold my beer!" first? wondering what the factory recommends for this.
Does it differ between the Raptor and the TRX? If you do this wrong will the factory void your warranty?

Asking for a friend.

Since I have a Mojave, I just floor it at the mall and run over curbs, shopping carts, pedes.....

nevermind.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I added my Falcon sp2 3.5 eADJUST shocks for this. I can switch from firm to soft and back with a button in my cab. Still have to pop my sway bars off by hand like a peasant....but I got a button now!

I have a Rubicon JT and noticed if I drive on a dirt road in 4H it’s EXTREMELY bouncy and everything rattles. I know airing down will help, yet sometimes I can’t.
Let’s say your driving for a few mins on a dirt road but are back to pavement, how would you guys drive on the dirt road, and what settings would you use if you can’t air down? I was seeing Mini vans and Prius take the same road and they had no issues. What am I doing wrong?
IMG_9511.jpg

65939020759__AF840C03-C3CF-4485-A0FD-DF063010D224.jpg

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
So I took the sport (max tow) on a ride this past weekend on some trails. Nothing too crazy. Kept it in 4H the whole time. I noticed that I preferred to put the jeep in Manual mode and never got out of 1st gear. We were moving pretty slow along the trail. Is this a pretty common process, or do most of you just leave it in D and just go at it?

For those who have the rubicon, what does the 4:1 give you on the trails that the others do not?
It's trail dependent. If its an open desert road 2H or 4H with Off Road +. If its a trail with potential for falling off the side of the mountain or potential pain and suffering, to me or my jeep, its 4h without off road +; if it's dirt and unsafe 4h, I like having the control.

And then of course 4L when needed, I almost never lock. Mojave so no disconnect.

Just play with your jeep and you'll figure it out. Happy Trails!

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
When I drive on the beach, I have to manually shift it and turn off the traction control or it can bog down sometimes and stop me in my tracks.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
Love my Mojave, and no disco, 4:1, and front locker are cheap trades for what you get in the Mojave... Suspension, suspension, suspension.

I know there are Jeepers on here who can build a better suspension, but I am not one of them. For me Jeep and Fox killed it with the Mojave's setup.

However, I've been eyeing those Apex disco's for a bit. With them the Mojave would be more than I ever need.

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
4 wheel drive is really only for traction. When on the trails it usually becomes a contest of who can go the farthest without using 4x4. If you are on the same roads as a prius probably will never need 4 wheel drive.

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
To the questions in the original post..
I am in NC so probably ride some of the same roads as you. I have a rubi and have found that the 4:1 transfer case is a lot lower than I would like around here. The exception was on rocks at Moab, there it was great.
I have found that the swaybar disconnect helps a lot on rough roads (I would recommend you try a manual one, there are not too bad $), just don't forget to reconnect it. I air down to around 30psi so I don't have to immediately air up when I get on pavement. Usually ride in manual like you are doing, not so much breaking on the down hill.
Sponsored