Sponsored

Gladiator Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I assume the rear bumpers are different on the JL and the Gladiator.

But they’re similar enough to ask, when will the JL bumper makers offer a Gladiator bumper with swing away tire carrier?

Im running 37’s and I’m interested in a quality rear bumper swing away tire carrier with other options like fuel cans, coolers and CO2 tank, etc.

LoD makes a great product and I use them as an example - it’s their Destroyer rear bumper.

Anyone? Bueller?

14CE5DBA-CDED-44E5-B7A9-8B4F72CD6633.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

kwai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Expedition One already does and was on display at SEMA.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
search for the company name. yes it's on sale. good luck.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
I assume the rear bumpers are different on the JL and the Gladiator.

But they’re similar enough to ask, when will the JL bumper makers offer a Gladiator bumper with swing away tire carrier?

Im running 37’s and I’m interested in a quality rear bumper swing away tire carrier with other options like fuel cans, coolers and CO2 tank, etc.

LID makes a great product and I use them as an example - it’s their Destroyer rear bumper.

Anyone? Bueller?

14CE5DBA-CDED-44E5-B7A9-8B4F72CD6633.png
Heres the link. Since everyone wants to comment and not actually help or add any informative information to the post.
https://expeditiononestore.com/products/gladiator-trail-series-rear-bumper

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
If you add a bumper mounted tire carrier, what can you do to keep the rear camera functional? The JLs have the camera mounted to the tire carrier,

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Thanks! So it's a dual swing-away design...

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 9.11.47 AM.png

And it looks like their base bumper has side rails integrated into it. I like that.

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 9.13.31 AM.png

Their hitch seems to be quite low (?)
Im sorry I am not to familiar with this company. And have wondered myself how this would work, how it would effect visibility etc. Seems like a steep price though.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
If you add a bumper mounted tire carrier, what can you do to keep the rear camera functional?
Great question. I wonder who can run the rear camera in the tailgate into the rear spare tire carrier. Hmmmm!!!!!

Im sorry I am not to familiar with this company. And have wondered myself how this would work, how it would effect visibility etc. Seems like a steep price though.
They had a side view picture on their website. Looks like you would say goodbye to a chunk of rear visibility. But not too much. For certain you would not have to worry about the spare hitting boulders when four wheeling anymore since it would now have mounted at the rear.
C007B3F0-07F2-4088-9065-FBDEEF6A7DE2.jpeg

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great question. I wonder who can run the rear camera in the tailgate into the rear spare tire carrier. Hmmmm!!!!!

They had a side view picture on their website. Looks like you would say goodbye to a chunk of rear visibility. But not too much. For certain you would not have to worry about the spare hitting boulders when four wheeling anymore since it would now have mounted at the rear.

Most importantly, those of us running tires larger than 35" will have a place to carry the spare other than in the bed. Just waiting to see what the aftermarket comes up with for bumper mounting a spare tire and accessories like they offer for the JK's and JL's

Sponsored

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
I like the look of the spare, but that's it. I was wondering about the rear camera as well but sure this setup will follow the JL camera location.

And I love all the bed rack overlanding setups too. This is great for those who will dedicate the JL for overlanding with no plan on ever needing to use the truck bed for anything else.

I do like the Jeep bed in it's simple form where you might need to use the tailgate to help haul plywood or drywall. And I know someone will chime in as to why they own additional trucks for this.

I'm trying to get ideas to set up for overlanding the JT while being able to haul additional items when needed. I would prefer not to unbolt everything in order to load up.

But the spare tire is cool. I'm now thinking I should get another Gladiator. One to build for overlanding and attaching all the cool stuff. And the other one to use as a truck.

Hmm, do I get another Rubicon or not?

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
From my perspective there are more positives than negatives to the bumper mounted spare. The space obtained from getting the 37" tire out of the bed and from underneath the truck is huge. And it's more accessible when you need it than either of those spaces. If you keep the existing spare tire mount, you now have 2 spares for overlanding in more inaccessible places. Or replace the under-bed spare with additional fuel.

The rear window visibility is blocked by the tire carrier and can racks but if the truck is setup for overlanding with bed cover or rack, the visibility is already gone anyway.

There is supposed to be a rear camera repositioning option. Not sure exactly how it works, but will find out when the bumper arrives. I know how to back up using only the side mirrors so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

You can spend a little extra and get dummy spindle hubs and caps to cover the spindles with the swing-outs removed. This frees up the tailgate and bed for more mundane uses than overlanding. And you get your rear window visibility back.

The bumper also protects the rear rockers from the bumper to the fender flare. And the hitch location is oem. it doesn't move.

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
From my perspective there are more positives than negatives to the bumper mounted spare. The space obtained from getting the 37" tire out of the bed and from underneath the truck is huge. And it's more accessible when you need it than either of those spaces. If you keep the existing spare tire mount, you now have 2 spares for overlanding in more inaccessible places. Or replace the under-bed spare with additional fuel.

The rear window visibility is blocked by the tire carrier and can racks but if the truck is setup for overlanding with bed cover or rack, the visibility is already gone anyway.

There is supposed to be a rear camera repositioning option. Not sure exactly how it works, but will find out when the bumper arrives. I know how to back up using only the side mirrors so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

You can spend a little extra and get dummy spindle hubs and caps to cover the spindles with the swing-outs removed. This frees up the tailgate and bed for more mundane uses than overlanding. And you get your rear window visibility back.

The bumper also protects the rear rockers from the bumper to the fender flare. And the hitch location is oem. it doesn't move.
You are making some good points. Keeping an open mind I enjoy every prospective. Always learning something new.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Looks like room to move the center of the spare lower so it doesn’t sit as high...
How about an option to lock the tire carrier in the open position so the bed can be used for hauling long items like plywood?

Jim1119

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Overland
Hey everyone. I’m googling for one of these and this is about all I can find.
Assuming that this is still the only option. Pricey for a rear bumper.
Sponsored