Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR EcoDiesel, Land Cruiser 79, BMW R1250GS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Just keeping busy
Awesome that you are working with a shop for this Alu-Cab accessory that, in my opinion, is something I'd LOVE to have. Taking the bicycle makes a lot of sense.

We have the L-track on our Land Cruiser:

Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Roll Call IMG_4938

And I find it more usable than typical c-channel the Alu-Cab has for things that are regularly put on and taken off. It's just so much quicker and there is even real quick connect hardware as well (not sure though I'd use it, since it's also "quick theft" hardware).

The downside is that the hardware is rather large. If that works with your panels, I'd be happy to use L-track as the flexible mounting track on the door.

Not sure about the black anodization – I have seen this turn purple too often. That's probably why most roof racks are not anodized but powder coated. A durable anodization that actually stays black seems hard to achieve. I'd take silver anodized over black, and given that the rear door hardware on the Alu-Cab is silver anyways, it's not even against the style.

Would be great to have a flexible load option for the rear door that's reasonably easy to install and comes with everything needed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Awesome that you are working with a shop for this Alu-Cab accessory that, in my opinion, is something I'd LOVE to have. Taking the bicycle makes a lot of sense.

And I find it more usable than typical c-channel the Alu-Cab has for things that are regularly put on and taken off. It's just so much quicker and there is even real quick connect hardware as well (not sure though I'd use it, since it's also "quick theft" hardware).

The downside is that the hardware is rather large. If that works with your panels, I'd be happy to use L-track as the flexible mounting track on the door.

Not sure about the black anodization – I have seen this turn purple too often. That's probably why most roof racks are not anodized but powder coated. A durable anodization that actually stays black seems hard to achieve. I'd take silver anodized over black, and given that the rear door hardware on the Alu-Cab is silver anyways, it's not even against the style.

Would be great to have a flexible load option for the rear door that's reasonably easy to install and comes with everything needed.
Very good points! I will have to ask them about the anodizing and see what they say. I'll keep you posted. And SWEET Land Cruiser!!

Reactions: cug

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)

I spoke with my Rep at Freedom Coast Cycling about the anodized L-track. The blue I mention is a piece in one of their other products. FYI, this is what he told me:

"The l track is hard anodized. Hard anodize is a completely different process, and will not fade. The blue is regular anodize, which is affected by uv light. You cannot get the same colors in hard anodize, you are limited to greys, tans, etc. we have been working on a color for our adapters and knobs so they look good in hard ano, but you don’t need to worry about your l track."

Reactions: cug

ng1111

First Name
Neville
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Broker
Out of curiosity, what are you guys seeing regarding fuel consumption?

We have a '23 EcoDiesel with the ACCC installed (no interior yet) and on a recent 2500 mile roadtrip (with short stints on fireroads to find camp spots), we got just over 23mpg.

Still thinking of getting a roof rack with a wind deflector to not catch every single bug on the front of the camper ...
Just did two trips one about 9700 miles with several days off road at the Grand Canyon, Moab and San Rafael Swell along with long highway stretches fully loaded and 10Gal of water in the truck got on average 21 mpg

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
beerbeachrepeat.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
We drove the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park this past week. Here is a video of us climbing Murphy's Hogback. For sure a little tougher than we thought it would be.

Sponsored

mquetel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon diesel
I’m preparing to self install a Dickinson p9000 using the GP-factor ALCC mount. Got most things prepped and cut down so now it’s just drilling holes in the camper and bolting/riveting things up. Got a few questions:

- Anyone ever see or get concerned about water ingress into / down the chimney while driving during inclement weather? If so, curious what you’ve done to mitigate.

- I haven’t done any deep thinking about plumbing the propane. Do folks tend to prefer braided steel or rubber or hard lines for this type of job? I’m hoping to stash the regulator behind the molle panel that my tank is riding on, for a cleaner look. Also looking for a nice bulkhead fitting to get through the lower fit panel.

- Do folks feel compelled to run a propane leak sensor in the camper?

- Any other tips from the DIYers or those that have identified things they wish had been done a little differently would be great to hear.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Steven_B

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
I’m preparing to self install a Dickinson p9000 using the GP-factor ALCC mount. Got most things prepped and cut down so now it’s just drilling holes in the camper and bolting/riveting things up. Got a few questions:

- Anyone ever see or get concerned about water ingress into / down the chimney while driving during inclement weather? If so, curious what you’ve done to mitigate. I live just outside of Seattle, I haven't experienced any water ingress issues after two years of use.

- I haven’t done any deep thinking about plumbing the propane. Do folks tend to prefer braided steel or rubber or hard lines for this type of job? I’m hoping to stash the regulator behind the molle panel that my tank is riding on, for a cleaner look. Also looking for a nice bulkhead fitting to get through the lower fit panel. I prefer rubber, for the flex and vibration resistance. Here is the bulkhead that I used and a photo of my current tank install. https://amzn.to/3sFgNzs
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Roll Call IMG_2409

- Do folks feel compelled to run a propane leak sensor in the camper? I haven't, but need to. I did leak tests on all the fittings and run a CO2 detector, but need a gas detector as well.

- Any other tips from the DIYers or those that have identified things they wish had been done a little differently would be great to hear.

Thanks in advance!
See above in bold below your questions. If you want additional photos, let me know.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if anyone has used these before, but it’s a great option if you find yourself wanting to sit up and read in the tent if it’s raining or at night. They flatten down and store under mattress nicely. Crazy Creek Longback $75 at REI. ?
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Roll Call IMG_2409
My Wife and I use Japanese Futon chairs which are very similar. The style of chair works great for up in the tent. I like how slim these look.

mquetel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon diesel
See above in bold below your questions. If you want additional photos, let me know.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm also in the PNW but on the dry side in Central O, so I won't overthink precip. getting down the chimney. Appreciate the close up of your propane tank and plumbing. It looks pretty clean and I suppose I'll do something similar... thanks for the link!

Is that wire loom you wrapped around the rubber tubing?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steven_B

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager

pnwadventures

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pnwadventures.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Max Tow, Alucab Canopy Camper
Occupation
Photographer
Yea, that should not be a problem. I don't have any of the plates in stock but I can have some made if you are interested. I could also add the RotoPaX hole pattern to make it easy to install. I can get them in raw aluminum or have them powder coated. Let me know! The load bars I have on the door are 30" wide FYI.
I would be interested in the plates as well. It looks like it would fit my project. My rhino bars should be arriving soon and I'll know my needs after install.

~Steve

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
I would be interested in the plates as well. It looks like it would fit my project. My rhino bars should be arriving soon and I'll know my needs after install.

~Steve
Let me know, I can make some if both of you are needing them.

Jay61

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JKUR 2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I have had mine now for a few weeks and have spent 6 nights in the mountains of N Ga, NC and Tenn and I am loving it. AVO did the installation. I went with the Dobinsons 3inch HD lift with all its components to include the 3-way shocks and it works perfectly with the camper, even with the water tanks full and my LRA Auxiliary Fuel Tank and stock tank full...and all my camping gear.
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Roll Call 368035505_755985746538757_821640216236079461_n
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Roll Call 368035525_755985749872090_5874393106355906137_n
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Roll Call 368038668_755985753205423_764056430522422864_n
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Roll Call 368052950_755985743205424_4999868065700021527_n
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Roll Call 370522298_10218518192745018_9062667542521501509_n

cug

First Name
Guido
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR EcoDiesel, Land Cruiser 79, BMW R1250GS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Just keeping busy
Hey All,

question to all of you: have any of you found a car/truck cover that fits the truck with the camper on? We are sometimes away for extended times and the truck doesn't fit any garage.
Sponsored