Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I caved and finally ordered the BulletProof Aux cooler.......Hoping the brackets will work and I can just slot the skid under my OEM steel bumper for airflow? I've put this off waiting for them or someone else here to do it first.......
Sponsored

Primer Gray

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Industrial Designer
Has anyone actually confirmed the 24 grille actually makes a difference? I need to repaint my chipping black grille and was just thinking getting a flat black 24 if it actually made an improvement.
I put my original grill back on and did a run up I5 Grapevine with a full load in the bed and about 6000 pounds of loaded trailer…

The 24 grill does make a noticeable difference in how quickly the coolant gets saturated/cools down after spiking.

Even with the 24 grill, Mishimoto radiator, and BPD aux. cooler, I can still push it into cutting fuel and turbo boost on the steepest grade sections — but haven’t experienced an extreme derate event (the 15-20mph kind) since adding those parts.. even with the original grill.

The cooling stack is so inadequate that anything you do to obtain a marginal improvement actually makes an observable difference… but in my case still hasn’t fully resolved the problem completely.

I’m satisfied at this point being able to maintain at least 50mph up the majority of grades in the southwest while being loaded down and towing.

The next option on my list was a split custom built radiator ($$$$$$&&&), which I actually was willing to pursue and figure out because I enjoy the hell out of this flawed little truck so much.

IMG_0864.png

Primer Gray

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Industrial Designer
After combing through this thread I settled for building my own and stuffing it on my front bumper as I use my Jeep for rock crawling and off-road only. I threw 4 fans on the back as well. This solved my de-rating issues going up I-70 and other passes when towing. I also had issues de-rating when cruising (no tow) at outside temps above 100F. I am on 37"'s with factory gears.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas IMG_0864
can you share what fans/controller you used in your build.

was also considering doing this but never got around to the research and tinkering.

have you been able to ascertain a significant difference between having the fans kicked on vs. just passive airflow?

thanks

suroot

First Name
BIll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk, ZO6 Corvette, JTRD
Occupation
CIO
can you share what fans/controller you used in your build.

was also considering doing this but never got around to the research and tinkering.

have you been able to ascertain a significant difference between having the fans kicked on vs. just passive airflow?

thanks
The fans operate turn on/off via one aux switch. The fans dissipate more heat at lower speeds which help going up long hills. I have seen coolant temperatures reduced by >10F and held steady on long pulls. I have data logged the temp differences of 238F coolant to 260F oil at 65mph on aggressive (my foot) long pulls and became limited by turbo temps of 1600F constant at which point I had to back off.

All four fans are Spal 30103018 4" mounted to husqvarna KTM fan brackets P/N 79635943000.

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas IMG_5145

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas image_67524609.JPG

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I caved and finally ordered the BulletProof Aux cooler.......Hoping the brackets will work and I can just slot the skid under my OEM steel bumper for airflow? I've put this off waiting for them or someone else here to do it first.......
Keep us posted, I do enjoy your perspective on building stuff.
Sponsored