Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
So I did the Sky Jacker 4.5" up front, then added a new driveline and went to 5.5" up front and just ordered Teraflex triple duty rear springs so I could still tow without the sag, removing the Skyjacker 3" rear lift and making it a solid 4.5" rear lift with those triple duty Teraflex springs. I did go to 5.13 gears (extremely happy with this selection) and I'm riding around on 37" Yokohoma's. My trailer is around 4250 loaded, 3750 dry, with about 600 lbs tongue weight. I carry a couple of Coleman Minibikes in the back on a few trips and I always have the Go-Fast Super-lite RTT with the bed rack on (just like the pic). I do not daily drive this, camping and off roading only. Stock springs were to spongy, same with the Skyjacker junk. I've had my JT since new, for 3 years now. I love it for what Jeeps are used for. I do BOH trails all the time, and I'm headed the Rubicon this year.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up a set of 2in spacers from "Rusty's" to put in back but haven't done it yet (I added air bags) eventually I might put in 2-3 front lift w control arms for clearance and the spacers. I look and see rear lower control arms in a negative angle when static. When and if I do I will have to look for longer air bags too. Lockers are higher on my list right now hmmm might be cheaper getting factory axles w 4:56 gears. When I decided to make that jump. ?

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I can't beleive how hard this decision is. I want to get the clearance but don't want to lose the driveabilty.
What drivability loss are you looking at? If you have max tow with 4:10's going to a 33 or 35" tire you will always still see 8th gear. And mopar (dealerships) can flash your ECU to make the speedo correct so you don't need to buy a tazer etc.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
I went with the 2in IRO spacer lift so I retained my factory springs and their wonderful spring rate. I also stuck to a more factory tire size so i retained the power and feel of the OEM ride...as well as the MPG.
We have similar goals, so I'm interested: what tire size did you go with? Did you have to get a custom WDH with that lift?

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
We have similar goals, so I'm interested: what tire size did you go with? Did you have to get a custom WDH with that lift?
2in IRO spacer lift. VERY impressed with it. I kept the factory springs and factory ride. In retrospect...I honestly probably wouldn't have lifted at all. Or maybe only done the daystar 3/4in front/rear. But so it goes.

Unless you REALLY need or want that extra height...its just not worth it IMO. the 3/4 daystar lift would give you a little more height without messing with any other componant...no new bump stops...no new track bars....no new LCAs or UCAs....no new sway bar ends...no new anything other than the inexpensive 3/4in pucks haha.

Tire wise. I have 255/75/17 Bridgestone Dueler AT (bronco take offs) that have a weight rating of 115T. I absolutely love these tires. I get great MPG with them, smooth, and quiet. And they have the strength to pull my TT easily and without concern. The OEM tires have a weight rating of 112, so the 115 of the tires I have is more than enough.

No custom WDH. The normal design of a WDH allow for you to adjust it a tone of different ways until you get a set up that works.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
3/4 front and back? Interesting. I was considering the 1" teraflex in the front, since Zi don't get much squat with the bags in the rear.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
3/4 front and back? Interesting. I was considering the 1" teraflex in the front, since Zi don't get much squat with the bags in the rear.
if you already have the bags in the rear that would make sense. I have just found that I like having that rake. It really makes for a sable ride with weight in the rear. To each their own of course though. At one point I did have a 1.5in front + 3/4 rear lift set up. But didnt like the feel with towing.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
At one point I did have a 1.5in front + 3/4 rear lift set up. But didnt like the feel with towing.
That's good to know. Because I love the way it tows. Maybe I'll just get a second set of second-hand wheels with 33s for off-road adventures, and be done with it.
Sponsored