Sponsored

So, will every one get the body rust / corrosion?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Doing ok with paint my 2020 in Rust belt PA. I did undercoat for the frame and axles, etc.
Sponsored

DFWJTR

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Technician
I believe the issue OP is talking about has nothing to do with salted roads or weather, and everything to do with galvanization. The galvanization occurs at door hinges, tailgates, jambs, and hood edges regardless of water or salt presence. It is where two different metals meet and the prep wasnā€™t done correctly. I live in north Texas and my 2020 JTR has been in a salt free environment since new. I have galvanization occurring just above my fenders at the middle edge of the hood on both sides. Itā€™s currently extremely minor, but I am seriously considering having it replaced. I notice it every time I wash it because thatā€™s when I see it most during drying, but not much otherwise. The only reason Iā€™m hesitant is that I feel like it will just occur again later on down the road. As far as I can tell from forum posts and YouTube videos, it is somewhat widespread. Jeep now installs ā€œgasketsā€ under all hinges from what I understand.

As stated in this thread, the corrosion warranty is 5 years from date of manufacturing (located on your driver side door jamb sticker) and unlimited miles, regardless of geographic location.

Below is a video on the same issue with JLā€™s.

Dls79

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Jeep cares told me all wranglers and Gladiators will eventually get the corrosion despite changes in the body panel prep and shims under hinges. This problem is widespread among Dodge, Chrysler , Dodge and Ram vehicles.

MattHamilton

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Support Analyst
I just had my '21 JTO (80,000 km or 50,000 miles) door hinges replaced for the rusting issue under warranty. No questions asked. They did take it in for over 5 business days though. I thought that was a bit extreme. But the RAM 1500 with the 5.7 rental they provided me with for the entire time was also covered. I drive 130 km back and forth to work year round in the truck, and definitely experience brine as ice prevention on the roads in the winters.

MrBones

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave Sarge Green, 2016 JKUR Gone
Occupation
EE
Never had a problem with rust on my ā€˜16 JKUR for 80K+ miles In SoCal. When I bought the JTM dealer included Ally paint and interior protection for 10 years.

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Re: this 5 year unlimited miles paint thing, is this specific to rust/corrosion, or the paint in general?

All of my door hinges have paint flaked off, and the bottom bolt has no paint. Is this something covered in the above?

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Re: this 5 year unlimited miles paint thing, is this specific to rust/corrosion, or the paint in general?

All of my door hinges have paint flaked off, and the bottom bolt has no paint. Is this something covered in the above?
It should be covered.

This is from the 2020 warranty manual:

Jeep Gladiator So, will every one get the body rust / corrosion? 2.2 Corrosion Warranty

Jeep Gladiator So, will every one get the body rust / corrosion? 3.5 Corrosion not Covered

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
It should be covered.

This is from the 2020 warranty manual:
So generally, "no" to my original question. Unless the exposed metal corrodes :) .

I just need to figure out what to do about the exposed hinges. I doubt I'll have an issue within the 5 year mark, but probably should not leave them exposed long term. Those plastic covers would maybe work but could also create MORE moisture issues underneath them.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
So generally, "no" to my original question. Unless the exposed metal corrodes :) .

I just need to figure out what to do about the exposed hinges. I doubt I'll have an issue within the 5 year mark, but probably should not leave them exposed long term. Those plastic covers would maybe work but could also create MORE moisture issues underneath them.
Did the paint flake off due to bubbling from corrosion?

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
TBH I just assumed it was chipped from rocks on the trailing. But given this discussion I looked more closely. See pictures. What do you think? Seems like there was some bubbling before but I can't recall for cure.

Jeep Gladiator So, will every one get the body rust / corrosion? IMG_3621

That second pic looks like a result of corrosion.

I think you have a good case for warranty coverage.

OP
OP

PBCounty

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I think its a minor thing. Even Toyota get shit for failing paint. Jeep just gets more shit then everyone else because it feeds the narrative that anything made by Jeep is a POS. You get a factory 5 year warranty to cover all painted body panels against corrosion and 3 for unpainted. Considering how easy it is to disassemble a Jeep I wouldn't even worry about it. Body shops get so much cheaper if you just bring a single piece rather than a full car for respray. and they can perfect color match off of a good section of your car. I took in a tailgate that got brake fluid spilled on it, and paid cash. 2 days and 350 bucks later. perfect paint matched tailgate. If your hinge starts to corrode. just unbolt em and take em in. I have a buddy in the collision repair industry and he loves Jeeps for ease of repair.
Ha, well at least this post made me feel a little better.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
It also covers you from the date you took possession or it was put into service. NOT the date of manufacture as listed on the door sticker.

(Note that..... "The Corrosion Warranty starts when your Basic Limited Warranty begins under ā€œsection 2.1 Eā€.) 2.1 E is shown below:

Jeep Gladiator So, will every one get the body rust / corrosion? 1719518382837-ro

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
It also covers you from the date you took possession or it was put into service. NOT the date of manufacture as listed on the door sticker.

(Note that..... "The Corrosion Warranty starts when your Basic Limited Warranty begins under ā€œsection 2.1 Eā€.) 2.1 E is shown below:

1719518382837-ro.png
What's interesting on this one is I don't know exactly what the date is, as I do have the second bullet (GM "demo"). Not sure exactly when he started driving it. I purchased Feb 2021. They told me at the time that all my warranty stuff started from MY possession.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
What's interesting on this one is I don't know exactly what the date is, as I do have the second bullet (GM "demo"). Not sure exactly when he started driving it. I purchased Feb 2021. They told me at the time that all my warranty stuff started from MY possession.
I would call the dealer and ask when the warranty was punched.
Sponsored