Sponsored

These trucks are remarkably capable in 2WD

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Was picking up some firewood from a construction site, thought I’d see what the truck could do without locking it in. (My plan was to lock it in as soon as it spun as I am not one to leave a site in a worse mess than it was). Heavy ruts, and an abrupt climb out of a pit, I was for sure I’d need 4WD to get out.

Nope. In 2H with the LSD it just crawled right along, no muss, no fuss.

IMG_6337.jpeg
Sponsored

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Good tires and throttle control can get you a lot farther than you'd think. We rarely buy 4wd trucks for work and do industrial construction. I have driven 2wd trucks with good AT or Mt tires just in the rear on one of our trucks through some muddy areas that our bosses 4wd trucks with all season or HT tires would not go. It made me realize how much I over reacted to trails when I was younger.

PBCounty

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Agreed. Last week I climbed a significant gravel incline and with the max tow LSD there was no drama in 2WD.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Yup, I tested the LSD out in 2WD on a few snowy hills this past winter and I was astonished at how well it did. It is impressive

4Lo still blows my mind in these to be honest. I can’t imagine what it’s like in a Diesel Rubicon for instance.

hepcat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
I had a ‘92 Ford Aerostar as a work van for a number of years. It was a stock 2WD auto with stock M+S tires. I ran a rural NoCal county Sheriff’s crime scene unit in a mountainous county. I was regularly out on trails normally thought of as 4WD. Forest Service and fire roads. Anyway I was working a body-dump murder on a ridgeline waaaay out in the middle of nowhere. I had to ford a couple of creeks and a little rock crawling to get there, but the guys in the 4WD trucks I was following were incredulous that I could get a stock 2WD cargo van up into a place that they struggled with in the 4WD trucks. Technique, finesse, and good tires are just as important as a transfer case and front drive axle.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I completed the Peter Mills BoH trail in 2Hi.......it was a wet messy day too