Sponsored

Winch options kind of overwhelmed

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
@NaughtyGeek Thanks for that BTW, although my wallet doesn't share the sentiment. I moved the winch up in my acquisition plan because a $200 discount on a $650 winch isn't passupable.

So for the OP - you need three parts to mount the winch: Bumper that supports it, winch plate, and the winch. I'm using the stock steel bumper because I did order it and I like the look. You may be able to get one used if you hang around a while and are patient. However, that means I have to pony up $250ish for a winch plate. So with the smoking deal on the smittybilt, I'm about "even."

Ideally you should consider a winch protector bar as well, a bonus if it protects the radiator.
Sponsored

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Amazon has the Arcus bumper available with a 15% coupon putting it at $423. I also started a thread about a killer deal on Smittybilt X20 12K winch in the general section. Prime shipping on both so it comes in under $1000 for both.
Hey I checked on amazon and I am not seeing the Arcus bumper coupon. Is there something special I need to do?

Thanks!

Adrian

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Yeah, I've been traveling that path, too. I looked until I was blue in the face and could not find any that looked as good as the OEM bumper. Bear in mind, there are folks who buy with a steel bumper off the lot, but would rather have an aftermarket bumper. So, I found one on Craig's List who had to replace his because it didn't support a tow bar behind his RV. $500, and it has the winch hoop, too, and he's even including the fog lights (which I didn't need, but having spares could come in handy someday). I found a winch plate on Northridge much less expensive than the OEM option. There are other manufacturer options out there, as well, but some folks are describing fits that aren't quite perfect with certain winches, etc. That is, you can "make it fit with a bit of grinding", but in my world (years in the military working the design and acquisition of aircraft systems that I'd later fly as a crewmember into combat) I call that poor engineering. Folks attest that the one I selected works with almost every winch--and you can easily find the very short list of the ones that don't work. I'm awaiting order deliveries, so if you have patience, within a couple weeks I should be sharing my experience on the forum. Here is the winch plate, BTW ...

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...hard-4x4-winch-plate-for-factory-steel-bumper

Also, congrats on Eagle Scout. I've done a bit of Scouting in a past life. ;-)

IMG_5605.JPG

Heritage of Miami Sea Explorer Crew Group Photo (8x10).jpg

I did some local searching and no luck on my side finding anything. Though due to the cost of the plate, the Mopar option is becoming less and less desirable the more I think about it.

Also awesome that you got to go to sea base. My troops big trip was Tinnerman when I was in. Sadly that camp doesn't exist anymore.

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I did a lot of looking around and this is the one I ordered except with the over rider. I haven't gotten it yet. But as I understand it the factory fog lights will fit, both halogen and LED. It already includes the winch plate so honestly you are saving around 3 to 4 hundred over doing the factory steel bumper.
If you are just getting started you can go with a lower priced winch like the harbor freight listed above. The XRC by Smitty Built is also pretty well rated for the price.
Bad news with the quadretch one. They replied to my question. They do not support the rubicon skid plate. So this one is off the table for me at least.

Sponsored

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Not getting that coupon even if I am signed in or out on mobile and desktop.
Shows up for me. It is a check box right under the price to apply the 15% discount. Click the checkbox, put it in the cart, discount applied at checkout.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU and 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The Badland Apex 12K coupon came back out today. Good thru the end of the month. $599 for what I think is a really good winch. I bought two.

20191202_172721.jpg

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Shows up for me. It is a check box right under the price to apply the 15% discount. Click the checkbox, put it in the cart, discount applied at checkout.
Figured it out. It had default to a seller who was $1 cheaper hiding the coupon option. Just ordered! :)

Now for the Winch, torn between the Badland and the Smittybuilt that is on sale on Amazon. I feel like the Badland is a better buy, but has less warranty and is $125 more than the Smitty.

Also I feel like after this spending spree my JT is going to be out of commission for a while while I install. Got the Diamondback HD on order, Taser Mini and Trail cam coming Wednesday. New bumper Friday, and desperately need a brake controller.

LED bulbs are also to come since the stock halogens are pure garbage.

I finally understand what Jeep people said about these cars just consuming money...

Sponsored

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
For me, the smittybuilt was the choice due to the much longer warranty than the badlands. 1 year / 5 year versus 90 days ftw.

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
For me, the smittybuilt was the choice due to the much longer warranty than the badlands. 1 year / 5 year versus 90 days ftw.
That is kind of where I am at. I feel like the harbor freight one is probably nicer but them not standing behind it kind of turns me off.

Though do you know how good smittybuilt warranty is? They could be one of those companies that wants the customer to pay to ship the item

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU and 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
HF offers a no deductible ESP.

In all honesty, winches have reached the point where they're all really reliable these days. It would be hard to go wrong. Warn pioneered then in the 50's and were the leading edge for the first 50 years, but the winch shootouts haven't been dominated by Warn for at least a decade. I remember in 2012 when the Engo 9500 surprised a lot of folks.

At work we have Warn's and several other brands that all get moderate use and decent maintenance. Can't truthfully point to any as being superior these days. Times change, technology gets copied, quality evens out. Now it's a matter of loyalty, aesthetics, features, and perception of value.

I think you'll be happy with most any common winch.

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
Just installed my warn winch mount and vr10s with a Maximus 3 stinger last weekend.
Can you post a pic of your trail cam with the Maximus stinger? Interested in seeing how much is blocked and what is visible for the tire path and stuff. Especially with the winch in there.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I did some local searching and no luck on my side finding anything. Though due to the cost of the plate, the Mopar option is becoming less and less desirable the more I think about it.

Also awesome that you got to go to sea base. My troops big trip was Tinnerman when I was in. Sadly that camp doesn't exist anymore.
The top one is Baldy Mountain, Philmont, in case you didn't recognize it. Actually have been to Philmont five times--once for a trek, three training center sessions, and Wood Badge. Of all of that and much more, Sea Base was absolutely the most fun.
Sponsored