paper service or shop manual

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Is there a paper service or shop manual available for us, or even the JL? I'll even settle for a digital one, if I have no choice, as long as it lets me print at will. I've always bought Haynes or Chiltons on every vehicle I've owned before.
Jeep Gladiator paper service or shop manual IMG20220610212818
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
The answer to your question, NO there is no hard copy service manual available.

There is also no CD or USB loaded manual available any longer.

There is the subscription service that is included in the threads linked above.

Manufacturers do NOT want vehicle owners to do ANY service themselves. They are going as far as to try and push legislation through to make their vehicles proprietary and illegal for anyone but an authorized factory trained (HAH) service tech to work on.

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The answer to your question, NO there is no hard copy service manual available.

There is also no CD or USB loaded manual available any longer.

There is the subscription service that is included in the threads linked above.

Manufacturers do NOT want vehicle owners to do ANY service themselves. They are going as far as to try and push legislation through to make their vehicles proprietary and illegal for anyone but an authorized factory trained (HAH) service tech to work on.
I have with a couple of problems with a subscription service
1) I have to keep paying for it
2) inevitably, once the vehicle gets old, so when I really need it, they'll pull it
I guess there's really no other option. Too bad. I'd be ok with that USB stick. I guess I'll check eBay for a used one.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
2) inevitably, once the vehicle gets old, so when I really need it, they'll pull it
I guess there's really no other option. Too bad. I'd be ok with that USB stick. I guess I'll check eBay for a used one.
I would imagine there are "pirated" versions of both the CD and the USB out there. But like any other pirated media, you have to worry about malware.

I believe it was @PyrPatriot that downloaded to a USB and then started printing out the manual. He said there were some funny restrictions to how it worked.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would imagine there are "pirated" versions of both the CD and the USB out there. But like any other pirated media, you have to worry about malware.

I believe it was @PyrPatriot that downloaded to a USB and then started printing out the manual. He said there were some funny restrictions to how it worked.
I'm looking for a legal copy. But as of now, doesn't even look like the subscription version is even available. So used USB stick might be my only option.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
They have zero incentive to pull the vehicle on a subscription service because the service is per-vehicle or it's a shop subscription to the entire catalog. The cloud costs to maintain a single manual will probably be covered by about 5 people so I wouldn't worry about that.

But fuck having to pay for a damn book in perpetuity.

It also seems that this exists but it's out of stock and still digital.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Is there a paper service or shop manual available for us, or even the JL? I'll even settle for a digital one, if I have no choice, as long as it lets me print at will. I've always bought Haynes or Chiltons on every vehicle I've owned before.
Jeep Gladiator paper service or shop manual IMG20220610212818
Out of stock.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
They have zero incentive to pull the vehicle on a subscription service because the service is per-vehicle or it's a shop subscription to the entire catalog. The cloud costs to maintain a single manual will probably be covered by about 5 people so I wouldn't worry about that.

But fuck having to pay for a damn book in perpetuity.

It also seems that this exists but it's out of stock and still digital.
Yes the only option is a digital subscription or usb that cannot be easily copied. I ended up having to print about 10k pages and re-scanning them. But, that is permissible for me to do. I do not support pirating or infringing Jeep's copyrights

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the only option is a digital subscription or usb that cannot be easily copied. I ended up having to print about 10k pages and re-scanning them. But, that is permissible for me to do. I do not support pirating or infringing Jeep's copyrights
I can't seem to find the digital subscription on tech authority. It's says not found

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
usb that cannot be easily copied.
That sounds like a challenge. Is the write protection when you open the thing or is it just copy protection on the USB itself? dd gives no fucks about copy protection so I feel like that would be trivial.

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds like a challenge. Is the write protection when you open the thing or is it just copy protection on the USB itself? dd gives no fucks about copy protection so I feel like that would be trivial.
Yup. I'm a Linux user, so was thinking similar, but just as a challenge. I will buy it legally if I can find it. I see the subscription on all data (for 2020 only, but I'm sure nothing really changed) but I can't find a used USB anywhere.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Yup. I'm a Linux user, so was thinking similar, but just as a challenge. I will buy it legally if I can find it. I see the subscription on all data (for 2020 only, but I'm sure nothing really changed) but I can't find a used USB anywhere.

I clicked on the subscription button on that page, nothing available when it redirects.

Basically free money for them and they shut it down.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I clicked on the subscription button on that page, nothing available when it redirects.

Basically free money for them and they shut it down.
That was my experience as well.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I can't seem to find the digital subscription on tech authority. It's says not found
Maybe being migrated since FCA was bought?

I can copy it but cannot access the files without the USB drive being inserted. I'm not a complete novice at computer stuff, but I couldn't find where all the data was being kept. Looking at the USB it looked like there was only a few kb of data on it despite tens of thousands of pages of information and videos. It didn't link to an online source either, I could access it in airplane mode. I could copy the entire drive to my hard drive and open those files, but only if the key was inserted.
Sponsored