First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I don’t know what the rating is on the M/Ts, but the A/Ts are snow rated.

500A3550-5788-4DF3-827D-C32E4404C3C9.jpeg

BB2D9B49-BDD3-47DD-A251-B46932F9E286.jpeg
No snow rating, but where i live you have to drive to the snow to be in it and that is not too often.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know what the rating is on the M/Ts, but the A/Ts are snow rated.

500A3550-5788-4DF3-827D-C32E4404C3C9.jpeg

BB2D9B49-BDD3-47DD-A251-B46932F9E286.jpeg
So are those Toyos, but it's the lesser M+S rating, not the 3 peaks and snowflake which is "severe snow" rating - deeper snow than the other rating. (I see some locations are starting to require the better rating in winter/snow)
I suspect the MT is more of a mud terrain while the AT is more for a variety and rated better for snow - just based on some reading I've done.

I THINK this is accurate - wondering what people thought of the Toyo tires I pictured above - they are apparently a lot bigger than the stock Rubicon tires. The Toyo tires get good reviews in most places I've looked. But it's a big size difference.
The Falken isn't even 3/4" different - 32.1" compared to 32.8" is only .7" difference in diameter, which means the vehicle would sit only about .35" higher (so much for the "taller tires is why the Rubicon sits higher" bs because it's the difference in RADIUS that makes a vehicle sit higher or not. Half the diameter difference. )

Stock Overland tires -
Bridgestone Dueller H/T 255/70R18
diameter 32.1", width 10.2", mounts on a 18" rim 649 revolutions per mile.
weighs 45 lbs, max load of 2535 lbs, maximum air pressure of 44 psi, tread depth of 11/32" should be used on a rim width of 6.5-8.5"

Toyo A/T Open country xtreme LT305/70R17
diameter 33.9", width 12.2", mounts on a 17" rim 614 revolutions per mile
weighs 64 lbs, max load of 3195/2910 lbs, maximum air pressure of 65 psi, tread depth of 17.3/32" should be used on a rim width of 8-9.5"
10" wide tread x about 32.5" height by tape measure

Stock Rubicon tires -
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 285/70R17
diameter 32.8", width of 11.3", mounts on a 17" rim 647 revolutions per mile
weighs 50 lbs, max load of 2755/2535 lbs, maximum air pressure of 50 psi, tread depth of 14/32" should be used on a rim width of 7.5-9"

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No snow rating, but where i live you have to drive to the snow to be in it and that is not too often.
Parts of CA are far more concerned about mud than snow. Geesh, at least snow melts and goes away eventually.

Bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Outback
I may be crazy but my bone stock Overland on the Duelers has been terrific in the snow. We have been dealing with snow in the Twin Cities for a month and have had it consistently on the surface streets for a couple of weeks. I go into 4WD if I need to but most of the time am in 2WD. I know the tires don't look very macho but I get compliments constantly on my truck just as it is. I figure I will run the stock tires until they start fading and then doing something different.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I may be crazy but my bone stock Overland on the Duelers has been terrific in the snow. We have been dealing with snow in the Twin Cities for a month and have had it consistently on the surface streets for a couple of weeks. I go into 4WD if I need to but most of the time am in 2WD. I know the tires don't look very macho but I get compliments constantly on my truck just as it is. I figure I will run the stock tires until they start fading and then doing something different.
I'm not so concerned about macho looks - it is a truck, will be used as a truck, but am concerned about how poorly it did on slippery roads. The stock tires are not rated well for snow anyway, what, about 4 out of 10?
Deep snow I'd not bother so much, but when you get snow pack that is in essence ice, which is what our road from home to the highway was yesterday and to keep stable I had to use 4H for a mile or so, with better winter tires I wouldn't have needed to shift the transfer case.

Sort of funny - no one around here has commented on my truck - no one said anything positive at all except dealership staff at two dealerships! Otherwise no looks, no waves, no thumbs-up, no nods, no comments, no nuttin. But it's Iowa.

I get comments, thumbs-up, nods, waves, honks, every single time I take my little Eagle out - not a single one for this truck. Zip.

That's ok - I bought it for me, to use, drive, enjoy. But it's not enjoyable in snow and on slick roads.

Oh, back to the stock tires - the reviews I've seen rate these 1, 2 or a couple a 3 out of five.
Here's one comment -
--------------------
Last winter I hated to drive vehicle in any type of snow. Did travel through a heavy rain storm and they handled condition well. I hate to put a negitive review out there but living in upstate NY I don’t believe these tires are the best choice. They are a true 3 season tire- I expected more due to being stock on vehicle.
----------------------
Another tire site shows them getting a score of 1.9 out of 5 for winter/snow by reviewers.
------------------------
Here's a tire review from an online review site -

Pros

• Dry traction and handling
  • Responsive steering
  • Ride comfort
Cons

• Increase the wet traction
  • Grip on snow and ice
  • Treadlife

Sponsored

Bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Outback
I grew up driving rear wheel cars in Wisconsin and never had snow tires so my expectations may be low. I also don't know if most reviewers know how to drive in snow. I did put some sand tubes in the bed and that made a big difference. Cost me $16 and probably a tiny bit of MPGs. I was just out driving it on snow packed in 2WD with no issues. I have 3 more months to test it in snow so perhaps my opinion will change. Our other car is a Subaru Outback with all seasons as well. The Jeep is at least as good as the Outback.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Stock Overland tires -
Bridgestone Dueller H/T 255/70R18
diameter 32.1", width 10.2", mounts on a 18" rim 649 revolutions per mile.
weighs 45 lbs, max load of 2535 lbs, maximum air pressure of 44 psi, tread depth of 11/32" should be used on a rim width of 6.5-8.5"

Stock Rubicon tires -
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 285/70R17
diameter 32.8", width of 11.3", mounts on a 17" rim 647 revolutions per mile
weighs 50 lbs, max load of 2755/2535 lbs, maximum air pressure of 50 psi, tread depth of 14/32" should be used on a rim width of 7.5-9"
I got a Launch Edition set of takeoffs for my Overland. Despite the numbers above, the Faulkens on the LE Rims are very tiny amount SMALLER, diameter wise, by a tape measure. They are nearly identical. You can see how the revs per mile are within .3% of each other. I am not bothering to change my spare. I think it is because of how the tires sit on the different rims.
I couldn't be happier with the LE tires and rims, ride wise, and they look 1000% better.

20191129_145043.jpg

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I got a Launch Edition set of takeoffs for my Overland. Despite the numbers above, the Faulkens on the LE Rims are very tiny amount SMALLER, diameter wise, by a tape measure. They are nearly identical. You can see how the revs per mile are within .3% of each other. I am not bothering to change my spare. I think it is because of how the tires sit on the different rims.
I couldn't be happier with the LE tires and rims, ride wise, and they look 1000% better.

20191129_145043.jpg
Most of the folks who did the reviews I've seen were people who lived in their areas and weren't new to snow or ice and had owned other vehicles but bought one recently with these tires and felt they were a step backwards. Tacoma, Chevy various models, these aren't teens who bought the tires and had their first bad experience. I'm a seasoned all-weather driver. I've always lived at least 30 minutes from my job, sometimes more like 45 minutes, through rural roads to get to the city, so everything from roads not plowed to pure ice to wet to slush.
Granted some weight would help and that will happen but every single place I've looked, even a member of the forum posted a shot of the reviews of these tires - out of ten they got something like a 3 or 4 while the Falkens got 8+ That's a fair difference - but then these tires aren't rated for snow - I don't see a M+S mark on them so technically, in some places they are not acceptable winter tires.
When you have the thing fishtail more than once and want to swing out on corners even going slow - not good. It is a very light rear-ended truck which doesn't help.
I wish I only had to deal with snow - with our wild temp swings and the way the roads here are done, after a very few hours those tracks turn to ice and it's no longer snow pack.

Rim width matters - don't know if they are the same or not.
I measured with a tape measure and also found they are so close to the same when you measure them on a vehicle, I see little difference in diameter making me feel like it won't change a thing towing or for the spare short-term driving.
(but I did a test today that makes me believe the Overland is going to be trouble for me towing........ more on that in a different thread)

Problem is I can't find any take-offs within a day of here.

The point isn't staying with these, the point is finding others that are better. That decision has been made.

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
The at3ws are ok in the snow but they stink on ice and slush. Just get a set of dedicated snow tires and be done with it.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The at3ws are ok in the snow but they stink on ice and slush. Just get a set of dedicated snow tires and be done with it.
That's not what I hear about them.
Several have said they do well with ice and snow pack and such. The reviews are ok for ice. Not like a dedicated ice tire but I don't want dedicated winter/snow tires - I guess some miss the point.
Trying to find a set of "take-offs" so I get wheels and all so I can keep the stock for "good highway driving" but don't want to deal with dedicated "snow tires". If I don't want to switch them out, I want to be able to leave them year-around.

Sponsored

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
I had the At3Ws on my ram and they are not great in packed snow or ice. About the same as our stock duelers. The most expensive all season/ all terrain will be worse then the cheapest dedicated winter tire. It comes down to the compound. An all season tire can never be as soft as a true winter tire or it would not last in the summer. Get a set of 17" rims and some dedicated snow tires. You can get a nice set of JL or JT rims for $150 to $200. Then it's easy to switch wheels in the spring and fall.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had the At3Ws on my ram and they are not great in packed snow or ice. About the same as our stock duelers. The most expensive all season/ all terrain will be worse then the cheapest dedicated winter tire. It comes down to the compound. An all season tire can never be as soft as a true winter tire or it would not last in the summer. Get a set of 17" rims and some dedicated snow tires. You can get a nice set of JL or JT rims for $150 to $200. Then it's easy to switch wheels in the spring and fall.
I see your logic - and if I can find rims - that someone will ship. But I could get 4 wheels and tires for 800 where the tires alone would be about 900 or so. So, looking at all options.

By the way - not seen wheels for sale here for less than about 500 or so - typically even more.

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
I see your logic - and if I can find rims - that someone will ship. But I could get 4 wheels and tires for 800 where the tires alone would be about 900 or so. So, looking at all options.
I bought these for my snow tires. $210 for a set of 4 shipped 2 day. You can get snow tires for $100 to $125 shipped on discount tire or giga tire. Max you will spend is $600 and you will be much happier with the winter performance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-INCH-JE...rentrq:16dc205c16f0aadcc78fafe2ffb34f94|iid:1

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for the stock Rubicon wheels - Dark wheels look a lot better on it.
I see those are used....... interesting.
Last set of used wheels I bought had two with problems that were not disclosed.
I wonder where they are getting their used wheels to sell?

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
The ones I received were like new. They are are large scrap yard in austin. Anyway, you are talking about getting used Rubicon wheels. Good luck but you are not going to see any difference with the AT tires compared to the duelers.
Sponsored