First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
WHEN BRAKING HARD ON A OFF RAMP GOING DOWN HILL THE TRANS WENT INTO NEUTRAL AND THE ENGINE RPM WAS 2K. DID THE TRANSMISSION PICK UP COME UNCOVERED? CHECKED FOR LEAKS AND FOUND NONE. IS THIS NORMAL?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ROCK MONKEY

ROCK MONKEY

First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
THE SHIFTER DID NOT MOVE. THE TRANS WAS NOT IN GAUGED. ALL MOST LIKE THE TRANS WAS LOW ON FLUID OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. THE ENGINE REV TO 2K WAS STRANGE.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure this was not the engine braking feature kicking in?

OP
OP
ROCK MONKEY

ROCK MONKEY

First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
I HAD TO APPLY MORE BRAKES TO SLOW DOWN. AFTER COMING TO A STOP THE TRANS REENGAGED. I HAVEN'T PULLED THE CODES WITH THE JSCAN. NO CODES ON THE DASH.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
OP, you’re shouting. ALL CAPS means YOU'RE SHOUTING.

I would say what you have experienced is not normal,…. hold on a moment…. HEY HONEY, BRING ME A BEER!!

I would also check the oil level, it’s quite easy to do but it’s best to …..hold on, sorry…. WHAT??? NO, THE BEER ON THE TOP SHELF!!

Sorry, it’s best to have the dealership check the level or diagnose your situation and get it documented.

OP
OP
ROCK MONKEY

ROCK MONKEY

First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
o sorry. i'm at work. we have to use caps here. the grease monkeys in the shop don't like small caps. i'll try and see if it happens the next time i go down the off ramp this weekend. thank you for the info. this is all new to me. the last car was 20 years old. hope this one makes it 20 years lol

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Did the PRNDL display on the cluster actually show "N" for what you suspect was being in neutral?

OP
OP
ROCK MONKEY

ROCK MONKEY

First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
the display showed D. my old ford truck i rock crawled with would do this when i was coming down a hill sometimes.
i thank the abs may have kicked in. that's how hard i was braking.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
the display showed D. my old ford truck i rock crawled with would do this when i was coming down a hill sometimes.
i thank the abs may have kicked in. that's how hard i was braking.
Your old Ford had a very different transmission than what is in the Gladiator. If your PRNDL said D and actually had shifted to Neutral without indicating it did, it would have given some error warning messages on the dash for there being a mismatch error.

Like you mentioned, given the hard braking, it may have been a hard downshift and the ABS kicking in than a true command to neutral.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ROCK MONKEY

ROCK MONKEY

First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
would the engine rpm go to 2k at the same time? there was no engine braking. will the jscan show trans codes? i thank i braked so hard the pick up in the trans was uncovered and sucked air. i was coming off the highway and was slowing down when the guy in front of me hit the brakes real hard. the off ramp is steep down hill.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
would the engine rpm go to 2k at the same time? there was no engine braking. will the jscan show trans codes? i thank i braked so hard the pick up in the trans was uncovered and sucked air. i was coming off the highway and was slowing down when the guy in front of me hit the brakes real hard. the off ramp is steep down hill.
If it down shifted to a low enough gear, the engine rpm would go up. That is the engine breaking feature previously mentioned.

I have done pan drop and fluid service on these transmissions. There is easily 4 quart or more sitting in the pan sump and you would have to be near out of fluid to pick up air on a hard enertia event.

In my opinion, you got startled but everything worked as designed.

Your prerogative to take it in and have it checked out regardless.

OP
OP
ROCK MONKEY

ROCK MONKEY

First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
thanks to you all for the help. it's going in to the shop in a month for a gear noise im hearing in the driveline or the rear drive axle. then to the dealership i go and i work at a dealership for PETERBILT trucks. ?

Imbuere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It idles at like 1000... if you were at 2000 and braking (assuming you also weren't on the gas), you were not in neutral. You'r just not used to the engine braking feature.

OP
OP
ROCK MONKEY

ROCK MONKEY

First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
imbuere never mind. i new i should have not asked on here. yes i know what engine braking is.
thanks for all the in put
Sponsored