Sponsored

Brand new 2023 gladiator, how can I prevent hinge corrosion?

AustyPosty

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JK 2 door, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Aftermarket Parts Copywriter
Hi all, picked up a new sarge green rubicon yesterday and I want to ensure I don't get hinge corrosion. I had a few ideas that I had to potentially prevent it from occurring, such as unbolting the hinges and painting underneath or making a custom rubber shim. Would these actually work at preventing corrosion? I want to prevent it if possible.
Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
It's difficult to avoid if it happens. So far my hinges have been fine, but I do have a couple bubbles on the lower edge of the hood below the stickers (not underneath the stickers).

Freems

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2022 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Hi all, picked up a new sarge green rubicon yesterday and I want to ensure I don't get hinge corrosion. I had a few ideas that I had to potentially prevent it from occurring, such as unbolting the hinges and painting underneath or making a custom rubber shim. Would these actually work at preventing corrosion? I want to prevent it if possible.
This should fix Any issues or concerns you have. Don’t forget you should have access to a factory paint warranty if issues arise.

IMG_0101.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
stainless and aluminum may not be the best mix, could make it worse.
Depends a bit on the stainless alloy, but yes, stainless and aluminum are fairly far apart galvanically, so, under bad & salty environmental conditions galvanic corrosion can occur.
There's always a lot of "it depends" with this sort of corrosion.
Generally speaking it's something to avoid, but it's also used without issue in many cases where stainless fasteners hold anodized aluminum parts in place.
Water is the key.

or making a custom rubber shim.
I'd not rubber - I'd use a thin plastic or nylon that can't be easily compressed. Anything, literally, that keeps two metals apart is going to do the trick.

Direct contact and water are necessary for galvanic action.

Sponsored

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn’t do anything till warranty is over which is 5 years 100.000. You do something and it will void warranty. Let it be on their dime if even ever needed ? When I bought mine in 2022 dealer here in western Colorado said they have never had one do it ? This could be dealer B/S but they sell a lot of Jeeps and it’s very dry here so who knows ? Just my opinion and I was in the auto body and paint field for 35 plus years.

OP
OP

AustyPosty

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JK 2 door, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Aftermarket Parts Copywriter
I wouldn’t do anything till warranty is over which is 5 years 100.000. You do something and it will void warranty. Let it be on their dime if even ever needed ? When I bought mine in 2022 dealer here in western Colorado said they have never had one do it ? This could be dealer B/S but they sell a lot of Jeeps and it’s very dry here so who knows ? Just my opinion and I was in the auto body and paint field for 35 plus years.
I live in california so not sure how common corrosion is here, I assume not. I had my Jeep Jk in mud, snow and such for 7 years and not a single patch of rust on the frame. Not really familiar with aluminum so I was just a little worried

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I felt the same way when I bought mine. Decided to just ride it out. corrosion looks common on these forums but in all reality a very low percentage I would guess. Just like the cam and rocker failures ? At least that’s what I’m hoping and praying ! Good Luck To You !! People on here are complaining on hood edge and t/gate also. I think it’s more of a prep before paint problem anyway ?

ROCK MONKEY

First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
had the hood and doors painted under warr. looks like the door hinges have plastic spacers now.

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
When brand new, I treated all of my hinges, doors & tailgate with Boeshield (I bought a gallon of it a while back). I have not treated my hood because it is steel (Mojave).

I used a drip bottle, and applied Boeshield to all of the interface surfaces between the hinges and doors & body, and let it 'wick' into these areas. I kept applying until it did not wick in anymore. I also did this for the door pins. I usually repeat this every 6 months.

I also similarly treated all of the the door edge seams, but I applied the Boeshield using a small tube attached to a squeeze bottle filled with Boeshield.

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
If "new" means '23 or '24, you may (or probably) have the new hinge with a zinc shim under it. The TSB shows how you can tell if it does: there will be a slight gap between the door and hinge. My '23 was built sometime around April last year (I think) and has the gap so I assume it has the shim.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10234479-9999.pdf

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
^^The whole zinc shim thing for the door hinges is a little puzzling to me.

I get the thought process behind why they did it. Zinc is less noble than aluminum in the galvanic series, so they appear to be using the zinc as a sacrificial anode to protect the aluminum hinge and door. Essentially, they are creating galvanic corrosion where it did not exist before (remember, aluminum hinges and aluminum doors do not create a galvanic coupling). BUT, what happens if the zinc actually sacrifices itself? Eventually the zinc will disappear. Then what? Loose door hinges?

Maybe the thought is that the zinc shims will not corrode significantly because aluminum and zinc are not that far apart in the galvanic series. If that is the case, then the zinc shims may not offer significant 'protection' against aluminum corrosion.

And ... the zinc shims do absolutely nothing to address the hood & door edge corrosion issues.

IMO, the real cause of the corrosion is that water/moisture gets 'trapped' at all the hinge/door/bolt/bushing interfaces & seams that are not sealed against moisture. Seal these areas against moisture and the problem goes away.

That is why I use Boeshield at all these interfaces & seams. It is quite surprising how much liquid will wick into these interfaces and seal out moisture.

I also applied Boeshield to my 2014 JK hinges (aluminum hinges with steel doors) when it was brand new because of reports of aluminum hinge corrosion. I reapply every year or so. It still looks like new.

wildtaco

First Name
Karol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
23’ Diesel Rubicon Sarge Green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
This should fix Any issues or concerns you have. Don’t forget you should have access to a factory paint warranty if issues arise.

Jeep Gladiator Brand new 2023 gladiator, how can I prevent hinge corrosion? IMG_0101
JKU hinges are different than our JL/JT hinges.