Sponsored

Brand new 2023 gladiator, how can I prevent hinge corrosion?

OP
OP

AustyPosty

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JK 2 door, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Aftermarket Parts Copywriter
Being a '23 you should have the shims between the hinges, mine is a Feb '23 build and has them. Even still I put a few drips of Boeshield t-9 on them every 6 months or so.

Totally understand the concern, when you spend this kind of money on a vehicle you want it to last.
I should have them, mine was build in June of 2023. Its kind of hard to tell just by looking at it though.
Sponsored

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
I should have them, mine was build in June of 2023. Its kind of hard to tell just by looking at it though.
It is, but if you get the angle just right you can kind of see a smidge of something between the plate and the body. I think it's black? or maybe a really dark grey?

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I was at the dealer yesterday for last wave oil,filter and tire rotation on them. They did great and only there about 30 minutes max. I walked the used car lot which they had quite a few wranglers but only one Gladiator. Inwas checking for any kind of corrosion ? Absolutely nothing except a older wrangler 2017 I think. The driver side rear hinges were stone chipped severely and actually had some minor surface rust but only right on chipped area. Rest of hinge and doors were great. The rust was so light you could almost rub it off with your fingers. The 2017 wrangler must of had steal hinges for that to happen ? Anyway as this dealer has stated before that they have never had one corrode ? It’s very dry here in western Colorado so maybe that’s why ? Anybody here covering their hinges with anything make sure you don’t trap moisture and make matters worse ? I use a leaf blower when washing my Jeep and so far I’m good !!

OP
OP

AustyPosty

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JK 2 door, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Aftermarket Parts Copywriter
I was at the dealer yesterday for last wave oil,filter and tire rotation on them. They did great and only there about 30 minutes max. I walked the used car lot which they had quite a few wranglers but only one Gladiator. Inwas checking for any kind of corrosion ? Absolutely nothing except a older wrangler 2017 I think. The driver side rear hinges were stone chipped severely and actually had some minor surface rust but only right on chipped area. Rest of hinge and doors were great. The rust was so light you could almost rub it off with your fingers. The 2017 wrangler must of had steal hinges for that to happen ? Anyway as this dealer has stated before that they have never had one corrode ? It’s very dry here in western Colorado so maybe that’s why ? Anybody here covering their hinges with anything make sure you don’t trap moisture and make matters worse ? I use a leaf blower when washing my Jeep and so far I’m good !!
I am curious where the people who are experiencing corrosion live, I live in California so im wondering if I don't really need to worry about corrosion. My Jeep JK never had a spec of rust on it.

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I am curious where the people who are experiencing corrosion live, I live in California so im wondering if I don't really need to worry about corrosion. My Jeep JK never had a spec of rust on it.
This is also what I am wondering ? I was in auto body field for many years before retiring and seen it all I think ? I was a manager at Ford inEastern New York and there was a TSB Ford sent out on F 150s. The rear side of box above the wheel well were getting rust through in only a couple years of ownership . The TSB listed raising pickup box for access and removing a sound deadner pad and looking for rust starting. The pad was holding moisture and crap in a 12 inch spot and rusting. The funny thing was the western States were not included in this Technical Service Bulletin at all !!

Last edited:

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I’m in Michigan. First spot I noticed was the hood at the front edge near the grill.

I have a 2021 and it showed up around 36k miles. Maybe it was just a problem for those made around the same time as mine. I’m not sure on that. I guess time will tell once the newer ones get a few more miles.
Sponsored