Sponsored

Getting olde is not for the weak of spirit ...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Lol it does suck getting old but at least we made it this far!
60 years old and glad I could still install my lift on the garage floor.
Paid for that the next day for sure.
I'm leveling my lawn this weekend with a yard of soil/sand mix. I got quotes for $1500.00 but I'm too cheap to pay someone to spread $60.00 worth of dirt. Plus I get to use the Gladiator as a truck. My back already hurts thinking about it.
$60 worth of dirt? LOL - that wouldn't even fill the mole and chipmunk damage here. Last time I bought dirt, it came in a truck weighing over 60,000 pounds. Took me a couple of days using my lawn tractor with blade and bucket attachment to move and level it all.

Jeep Gladiator Getting olde is not for the weak of spirit ... 1683120371129

.........Trust me you’ll wish you could still do the stuff you did when you were in your sixties soon enough.
I'm 66 and already look back on the things I used to be able to do in my 60s.
I look back at things I did just 2 years ago and realize that if I were to do it today, I'd likely need to ask for help.
2 years ago this month I took apart all of the dash structure of my 73 Javelin to replace door hinges (bolts go out to the hinges from the inside, and to access them, the dash must come clear out) and I removed the rear seat to replace the quarter windows with tinted windows. Extremely heavy assemblies as the interior steel panel holds the window regulators and the glass. You must take the whole assembly out and take it apart and swap the glass on a bench.
That car is still apart............ dang, I should have done that all that month as now I'm not sure I can lift those pieces into place while starting bolts. Heck, I can't even hold a screwdriver with my right hand any more - not and aim it and hit a screw.

My father warned me years ago - when you get older you'll find there are time thieves.
He said someone stole a day out of my week, a month is no longer even 28 days, let alone 31, and a year is only 10 months.
He was suggesting that when you get older, you enter some sort of time warp.
To me that makes sense - as you increase in speed toward the speed of light, time slows for you, but as you get older you get slower so apparently the reverse is also true.

I recall a Moody Blues concert years ago, when Graeme was still alive. It was his birthday, he'd turned 70. He stood there and said - it's ok, it means I've lived through the 60s twice.
Sponsored

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
Turned 69 last April
Doing great!
Eardrum was blown out by a tank 105mm cannon in 78 (Was too close, no hearing protection)
In a helicopter crash in 87 on the DMZ in Korea (which finally led to):
Broken back in 1988 (Armee stuff), and surgery to fix that.
Three surface-to-air missiles opening night of Desert Storm, crashed into the desert trying to evade the last one, somehow walked away
Broken back in 96...More Armee-related stuff
IED'd in Baghdad in 2005, didn't get a scratch.
Shot at, probably about a hundred thousand times...
107mm rocket in 2010, killed 8 but I wasn't touched...But my heart stopped. Really did
Heart surgery after that, then the bad stuff started:
I got retired and then had to start changing dirty diapers of my grandkids.
Combat was much better easier.
Somebody, please start another war. ;-)

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have this really large moving blanket quilted thing that is pretty slick material, I lay it out on driveway, drive vehicle on it , lay out my tools on towels so I can pull them to me while laying down, but there is always the one I leave in the garage that slows the whole process
Nice place to nap afterwards.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
Turned 69 last April
Doing great!
Eardrum was blown out by a tank 105mm cannon in 78 (Was too close, no hearing protection)
In a helicopter crash in 87 on the DMZ in Korea (which finally led to):
Broken back in 1988 (Armee stuff), and surgery to fix that.
Three surface-to-air missiles opening night of Desert Storm, crashed into the desert trying to evade the last one, somehow walked away
Broken back in 96...More Armee-related stuff
IED'd in Baghdad in 2005, didn't get a scratch.
Shot at, probably about a hundred thousand times...
107mm rocket in 2010, killed 8 but I wasn't touched...But my heart stopped. Really did
Heart surgery after that, then the bad stuff started.
I got retired and had to start changing dirty diapers of my grandkids.
Combat was much better.
Somebody, please start another war. ;-)
Thank you for your service brother.

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thank you for your service brother.
It was my pleasure, I couldn't imagine doing anything else, I really loved living all that. You a combat vet too?

Sponsored

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
WEED PULLER
Damn hope I dont get old in my head like you gents .
Just turned 63 still chasing 40 year olds.
Good old popsicles sticks and duct tape will always keep it up.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
WEED PULLER
It was my pleasure, I couldn't imagine doing anything else, I really loved living all that. You a combat vet too?
I wasnt in at the right time 1979 -1983 U.S.ARMY MP WHITE GLOVES never left state side .Believe me I received a lot of flak from my uncles and cousins who were all in combat.

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I wasnt in at the right time 1979 -1983 U.S.ARMY MP WHITE GLOVES never left state side .Believe me I received a lot of flak from my uncles and cousins who were all in combat.
It doesn't matter that you weren't in combat.
It only matters that you raised your right hand and said, "I am willing to write a check with my life for my country."
But you don't have to serve either to be a good man. All you have to do is, to be honest and true to who God made you to be. Do that and you will have lived a good life, an honorable life.
Life is never about you. It is always about how you served and served others. Selfish people die alone. And living long is not important. It's not about the number of breaths you take, it's about the moments that take your breath away. Live well, find a woman to love, give, don't take, do your part, take every opportunity to shut your yap, and know it is the things you do in secret that really matter.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
63. Just retired in January, and I've been focusing on getting in better shape.
Last week we set out to do a quick 2 mile walk on an old railroad converted to a trail that leads to a civil war battlefield.
When we got there we discovered that they had added some more trails, so we did those as well.
Ended up doing six miles total and it felt great.
The property keeps me in decent condition as well, especially with maintaining a 3 acre pond in the front yard. You really can't let a pond get ragged looking when it's in your yard.

All in all, I'm in good condition, despite having bypass surgery in 2005 and stents in 2016.
Those things can feel like the end of the road when you have them, but they're actually new beginnings.

I enjoy working on the Jeep, and taking care of my other toys and equipment. It gets rough sometimes, but I take my time and try to be thorough. I've learned tricks and invented things to help with difficult tasks, like getting to proper torques without losing a nut.

Life is good right now. I'm trying my best to get a second helping before the buffet runs out.

Jeep Gladiator Getting olde is not for the weak of spirit ... PXL_20230427_143300910

Jeep Gladiator Getting olde is not for the weak of spirit ... PXL_20230427_152305610

Jeep Gladiator Getting olde is not for the weak of spirit ... PXL_20230423_164847206

Jeep Gladiator Getting olde is not for the weak of spirit ... 342014617_145238318506327_7991328534761447042_n

Jeep Gladiator Getting olde is not for the weak of spirit ... 81240145_10221771685748014_8321682784506609664_o

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
WEED PULLER
It doesn't matter that you weren't in combat.
It only matters that you raised your right hand and said, "I am willing to write a check with my life for my country."
But you don't have to serve either to be a good man. All you have to do is, to be honest and true to who God made you to be. Do that and you will have lived a good life, an honorable life.
Life is never about you. It is always about how you served and served others. Selfish people die alone. And living long is not important. It's not about the number of breaths you take, it's about the moments that take your breath away. Live well, find a woman to love, give, don't take, do your part, take every opportunity to shut your yap, and know it is the things you do in secret that really matter.
I agree with you

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Not as old as some here but not a spring chicken anymore currently at 56 years of age.

Past few years of rolling around on the ground doing suspension swaps and changes like 2-3 times on each vehicle has gotten bit tiresome. My knees are the weak point now that I feel on a daily basis.

Mentally, I still think I am 25. If anything I learned from my Grandfather who live into his 80's is that a body in motion tends to stay that way. Flop on the couch or easy chair recliner and just vegetate all day watching ball games or the like is a easy way to a early death.
Have 2 lists for waking up in the morning. First list is "what doesn't hurt". Second list is "what does hurts". The "what doesn't hurt" is a short list.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
At 70 I just finished the suspension change and I still rotate the tires. My GF is 50 and she might kill me but I don't care. When I can't get out of bed she will be there to finish me off.

OP
OP
OVERLORD

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I agree with you
Well CARP!

Add me to that club, USAF 1974-2003!

Coundn't find the pig tail for the accessory lights, not a priority, another day,

I just ventured to a place I have never gone before!

Geeesh, that would be a great line to be used in some Sci-Fi series!

The MOPAR mud flaps complicate the process a lil.

Main battery disconnected and on Tickle Me Elmo Charge.

ESS Battery was on TMEC all night.

No sparks yet, about to drop the ESS Battery.

Send me happy, fuzzy, sparkly, Unicorn thoughts for a successful mission!

Hope I don't kill the OVERLORD, have an appointment at 1830.

DSCF4663.JPG
Sponsored