Missing lug nut

jludave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
All 4 of my locking lugs were loose (not even finger tight) when I got mine. The regular lugs were all torqued to spec.
The locking lugs are typically installed at/by the dealership. The production line at the factory would grind to a halt if they installed them on every vehicle, as the key would have to be changed for each set of locks installed. If you've ever watched the YouTube videos of the JL (or any other vehicle) being built, you can see where the assembly worker uses a special machine that torques all the lugs to the correct spec at the same time. Blame the dealership for loose wheel locks.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The locking lugs are typically installed at/by the dealership. The production line at the factory would grind to a halt if they installed them on every vehicle, as the key would have to be changed for each set of locks installed. If you've ever watched the YouTube videos of the JL (or any other vehicle) being built, you can see where the assembly worker uses a special machine that torques all the lugs to the correct spec at the same time. Blame the dealership for loose wheel locks.
They are sort of like a pit crew on those wheels - they don't install the locks at the factory - and that leaves one place, in most cases, that has touched those locking lugs......