Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Rest assured, the PHEV Gladiator 4xe is still coming according to head of Jeep Brand, Jim Morrison!

"All I can say is stay tuned," said Morrison at an event to preview the updated 2024 Gladiator, which was revealed today at the 2023 Detroit Auto Show.

"By 2025 we’ve said we’ll electrify the entire range, so by deduction you know that’s coming." added Morrison when asked about a Gladiator 4xe.
Sponsored

TheGerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
IT
Wondering with what engine they want to pair it. I have a Wrangler 4xe and it's fun to drive on roads. Now, I also have a JTRD, and I love the low end torque and fuel mileage even when towing, but I have doubt's the current 2.0T engine of the 4xe setup will provide a similar experience.

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
"stay tuned" certainly doesn't mean a 4xe gladiator is coming LOL
But "so by deduction you know that’s coming" certainly does since he says that in direct response to a question whether the 4xe Gladiator is coming.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
meh

MY24.... got a screen, power seats, steel bumpers on the Mojave and ridiculous upcharge packaging.

Upcharging packages........on the MY24 JLUR, if you want painted fenders you have to pay $10k more for the Rubicon X

Whitewilly1le

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 6MT
Occupation
Master of Ceremonies
But "so by deduction you know that’s coming" certainly does since he says that in direct response to a question whether the 4xe Gladiator is coming.
I'd be willing to bet money that the gladiator doesn't survive into 2025. Something else is coming

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
$10k more for the Rubicon X
the whole "X" packaging is such bs, but it's nowhere near as bad as ditching the overland trim. Leather seats are now VERY expensive on a gladiator

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
The lack of changes to the 24’ make more sense if a PHEV is coming in 25’ as a major redesign. There’s a lot of possibilities in a truck form factor. Eventually a large solid state battery system (I don’t think that’s coming to the 4xe soon), coupled with a tiny engine as a range extender will make ICE Jeeps obsolete. The JL 4xe gamble paid off so Jeep has every incentive to make their next iteration of a hybrid more EV with a bigger battery and a smaller engine.

Look at what Koenigsegg is doing with a 3 cylinder freevalve hybrid drivetrain. We don’t need 2000HP so a much detuned, smaller, cheaper version of this concept with a little 3 cylinder engine and a powerful electric motor would be killer. You don’t need a big engine for V8 torque if you have a motor.

There’s other benefits to a full PHEV lineup. Jeep can stop wasting money on stuff that no one wants just to meet their CAFE requirements. They can focus on what sells which is Wrangler, Gladiator and Grand Cherokee. They can worry less about the effect on fleet mileage from big tires and more off road centric features. In other words, an electrified Jeep lineup might very well be a more hardcore lineup. Electrification also presents some opportunities for alternative forms of 4x4. Ditching driveshafts and axles opens up a lot of possibilities. They don’t have to stick to a traditional drivetrain if they use a pure motor-based system with an ICE for charging. Lastly electrification, means better built-in overlanding features. I just hope these don’t cost $100k, but in theory the ability to focus on profitable platforms should make them more affordable.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering with what engine they want to pair it. I have a Wrangler 4xe and it's fun to drive on roads. Now, I also have a JTRD, and I love the low end torque and fuel mileage even when towing, but I have doubt's the current 2.0T engine of the 4xe setup will provide a similar experience.
Wanna bet?
The Wrangler 4xe has higher horse power and torque than the 5.7 and you can bet because of the towing necessity (JT can't survive without its payload and towing abilities) there's going to be even better coming.
Romp a 4xe in 4Hauto and brace yourself. That torque is there NOW, not in some RPM band.
(it limits torque in 2H - but doesn't limit it in 4HA)
Have you seen the video of the fellow racing his 4xe?

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
The lack of changes to the 24’ make more sense if a PHEV is coming in 25’ as a major redesign. There’s a lot of possibilities in a truck form factor. Eventually a large solid state battery system (I don’t think that’s coming to the 4xe soon), coupled with a tiny engine as a range extender will make ICE Jeeps obsolete. The JL 4xe gamble paid off so Jeep has every incentive to make their next iteration of a hybrid more EV with a bigger battery and a smaller engine.

Look at what Koenigsegg is doing with a 3 cylinder freevalve hybrid drivetrain. We don’t need 2000HP so a much detuned, smaller, cheaper version of this concept with a little 3 cylinder engine and a powerful electric motor would be killer. You don’t need a big engine for V8 torque if you have a motor.

There’s other benefits to a full PHEV lineup. Jeep can stop wasting money on stuff that no one wants just to meet their CAFE requirements. They can focus on what sells which is Wrangler, Gladiator and Grand Cherokee. They can worry less about the effect on fleet mileage from big tires and more off road centric features. In other words, an electrified Jeep lineup might very well be a more hardcore lineup. Electrification also presents some opportunities for alternative forms of 4x4. Ditching driveshafts and axles opens up a lot of possibilities. They don’t have to stick to a traditional drivetrain if they use a pure motor-based system with an ICE for charging. Lastly electrification, means better built-in overlanding features. I just hope these don’t cost $100k, but in theory the ability to focus on profitable platforms should make them more affordable.

All very good points and makes total sense.

Which is why I'm fairly certain you're a witch and should be burned at the stake.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Even those waving the EV banner a while back are saying that the PHEV makes sense to more people and is an obvious stepping stone.
Stellantis has patented some interesting new battery concepts, Tesla is promising rare earth minerals will not be needed for their motors and some are saying that will leak out into the other companies really quickly, making the electric motors a whole lot cheaper to produce. They use permanent magnets and that's there the RE stuff goes - into making those powerful magnets, driving up costs. Take those materials out of the equation, prices drop.

I'm looking forward to see how this one turns out.

TheGerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
IT
Wanna bet?
The Wrangler 4xe has higher horse power and torque than the 5.7 and you can bet because of the towing necessity (JT can't survive without its payload and towing abilities) there's going to be even better coming.
Romp a 4xe in 4Hauto and brace yourself. That torque is there NOW, not in some RPM band.
(it limits torque in 2H - but doesn't limit it in 4HA)
Have you seen the video of the fellow racing his 4xe?
As I mentioned, I do have the Wrangler 4xe, and it's mostly fun until the battery is depleted <1% , then you're pretty much relying on the 2.0T, and if you don't keep it in higher RPM it lagging and there's a ton of shifting going on to compensate. Don't get me wrong, I still love the 4xe for the purpose I got it, but it's not my preference for longer trips fully loaded and pulling a trailer.
Sponsored