Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'd have the dealership or a shop check them. Mine done the same thing but at 54,000 miles and it was just my main battery. Had it replaced and am still rocking the aux battery. I now have 92,000 miles on mine. I took mine to advance auto who told me both my batteries were bad and that the aux probably drained drained the main because it was going bad.

Took it to the dealership and they hooked it up to their system and the main had a dead cell in it. I let them replace it, cost $315 but worth it to me.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
<Knocks on wood> I'm going on five years now with the factory batteries and no issues (hopes I just didn't jinx myself...).
That’s literally how I jinxed myself. On the other hand, I used my winch during a recovery of another Jeep, at least 6 times the day before failure. So maybe it was me.

pharmfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
retired
Also bought my Gladiator in March of 2020 and now am about to roll over on 48,000 mi, just noticing Aux battery is fading. I do have a winch but otherwise use few electrical devices, mix
of in town driving and highway. Unsure of next step or type of replacement, any thoughts ?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Also bought my Gladiator in March of 2020 and now am about to roll over on 48,000 mi, just noticing Aux battery is fading. I do have a winch but otherwise use few electrical devices, mix
of in town driving and highway. Unsure of next step or type of replacement, any thoughts ?
Replacement is really up to you.

There are batteries (94R & AUX 14) that have a 4 year warranty. I have found nothing with a 5 year warranty (man I miss those days).

It just depends how much you want to spend.

You can get better than OEM with a three warranty for a LOT less than a dealership wants for the same batteries that came with the JT.

Sponsored

Macbrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
Wife’s 2019 JL aux battery failed, swapped hers out to the larger group 94, and disconnected Aux battery. Going to start/stop delete for here’s.
When hers went I decided to do the Genesis dual battery cause of my ARB fridge in bed, removed aux battery and did the stop start delete, works great.
I know I am using more gas cause of this choice but I am of the school of thought that shutting off my engine at every stop letting oil drain down for perhaps three minutes then starting then repeat, repeat and so on. I know they are millions of cars designed with it, the starters are designed to handle it , the engines are designed to handle it, I am just not designed to handle it…..Jack
I am completely with you on this. My wife's Subie tells you how many gallons you save with the POS start-stop system. She's had it for close to 3 years, 50K miles and it show something like 2 gallons saved. Seriously? I turn it off every time I drive. If my next car has it, I'm deleting it whatever way I can.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Also, I can’t recommend the fender removal to install the replacement aux enough. It makes it so easy. Just get some replacement white fender clips in advance.
Are the white clips the same as those under the dash?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need to pull the fender to change the Aux battery. Turn the wheels all the way to the left, take the bolts out of the fender liner, and reach up behind it. It folds back enough to do the job. At most, you may need to remove and replace the two big plastic pins in the outer bottom corner of the fender liner.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
As of your post, you have/had 2,654 messages on this forum and 26,542 miles on your JT. You may want to play the lottery tonight. And that is low miles for three years.
Shit, that’s nothing. Bought first week of October in 2021.

Jeep Gladiator Well it finally happened… RIP OEM batteries IMG_2785

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I almost made it 3 years but my OEM batteries have died. 😕 Everything was fine yesterday but this morning was click-no-start. I knew it was coming so I should have ordered batteries to be ready but I didn’t. 🤬
Jeep Gladiator Well it finally happened… RIP OEM batteries IMG_2785
Three years seems to be the tipping point. My JT's aux battery was shot at 35k and 3 years. I did a preventative replacement of both batteries in my 2018 JL right at 3 years. They were still working, but I wasn't going to wait for them to croak. In the JT, both were replaced under warranty. The dealer's practice was to replace both if one went bad. Good on them!

In the JL, I replaced the aux with an AGM and the main with an Odyssey pure lead AGM. Hopefully that one will go a long time. It is at 4 years now and going strong. Both of them are.

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
At what voltage can you start to tell its time to replace?
I think mine is at 13.9 under load right now.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To get something close to accurate, you need to disconnect the negative cables and separately charge each battery. Let it sit for a while and then measure. Fully charged, with no load, each battery should read 12.8 volts.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It has a 'Smart' charging system that varies the alternator output based on electrical demand. After the initial start and warm-up, if it stays between 12.7 and 13.0, the batteries are charged and presumably in good shape. If it stays around 14.5 then it is trying to charge the batteries and bring their voltage up to an acceptable level. During regular operation, anything between 13.0 and 14.0 is 'expected' behavior. The only clear signs of an issue are the screen messages that it is charging and the ESS or Aux Switches are unavailable.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Costco has interstate 94 AGMs for $170 with a 3 year warranty
Sponsored